To all you workout-aholics, HOW do you stay motivated???

I go through periods where I am SO motivated to work out and eat healthy, but it always seems like I end up going back to eating junk food and being lazy. I don't understand how some people can be so motivated to work out regularly and stick with it! Give me your secrets!!! And none of this "try this product" or "start this program" type of stuff please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Make small goals. When I started- it was DO something for at least 15 min EVERY day. reaching that goal every day kept me going for the next and then after a couple weeks I added time to it then after another couple weeks added a little more... it got to the point where I had done something every day and did NOT want to break that!
    I also did things I like-not things I hate. I found zumba and that was that for me- I now do 6-9 hours a week of work outs- 2 are pilates/yoga and the rest are zumba and I also have belly dance dvd's I use as well sometimes (finding classes here is difficult- but take them when I can)

I had hit a point where I knew I had to lose this weight and KEEP it off this time, and to do that- I have to work out. Now, if I can't go to zumba or whatever- I get irritated! I love it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:10 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I just built it into my schedule. I drop my 4 yo off at preschool and then my 2 yo and I go to the gym, no excuses. It helps that she loves to go and asks to go play at the gym!
    Before I joined the gym, I used to do wii fit during their naptime. Again, I just scheduled it into my day. Once I get in a routine, it's easier to stay there. Also - I posted a picture of an overweight woman in a bikini on my frig. (i'm not that big, but it was definitely motivating!)

Answer by missanc at 9:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I love exercise...plain and simple. I love the way I feel when I get a great workout in.
    I immediately put on my gear when I get out of bed, then after I take the kids to school, I go directly to the gym that is one parking lot over. I am literally at the gym, 2 minutes after the kids get out of the van. Then, I can focus on me for a few hours.
    I'm also motivated because I am getting my Personal Trainer Certifications in a few months. How can I be a great trainer, if I am not walking the walk? I have to do it in order to be effective as a trainer.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Bathroom scale keeps me motivated. I weigh myself every Friday if my weight is up - I immediately watch my eating and try to work out.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• You have to have a schedule and stick to it. Don't let distractions draw you away. I don't know if you work out at a gym or at home, but the hardest part is just getting started for the day. Once you walk through the doors of the gym, you are there, you may as well make the best of it. I'm not the type of person that can work out at home (because I get distracted), so I don't set myself up for failure by pretending that's what I'm going to do for the day. I drop the kids off at school, I"m already wearing my workout clothes, I drive straight to the gym.

Part of my drive comes from helping others. I'm a personal trainer and a group fitness instructor. I love that I am helping to make other people feel good about themselves. I let them make me hold them accountable. People I meet at the gym friend me on facebook or text me daily. I tell them "meet me at the gym" and they come and we all work out together.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2013