Is it ok to keep a 5 year old home from school because of bad weather?

Right now it is -22 with windchill! His bus stop is 4 blocks away, my husband is at work and we have no other options besides walking. What would you do? I mean we have to walk the 4 blocks and then stand out there in the cold till the bus gets there.
He hasnt had any sick days yet.

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 7:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just posted about this myself yesterday. I really HATE the bus stop thing too. Ours is at the end of our block but I have a 17 month old that I have to put in a stroller & wait at the stop with her up to 1/2 an hour. My DH takes my car & his is a two seater. My DH brings him to the bus stop in the morning but I go & pick him up with my little one. We got stuck in an ice storm in late November & we were both covered with ice. My umbrella blew inside out. Finally a neighbor saw us & told us to come in & wait inside her house but she works full time mostly & I can't do that every time. It just sucks. In fact, if I know were going to get a lot of snow later in the day in the future, I'm keeping my Son home. I can't expose the baby to that. He's in Kindergarten. I know how you feel.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• That's entirely your call. You're the mom. It sucks when the schools don't at least do a 2 hr delay on those days. They need to take into consideration the number of kids exposed to the elements & that not all of them have hats, gloves, scarves, etc. I know for my dau, she is on a perfect attendance roll right now. Each month w/ perfect attendance, they get a dress down pass. If she makes it the whole year again (like last year), she gets a gift card to Toys R Us! So if they don't delay tomorrow when they go back, I will just have to bundle her up in layers for her 3-4 block walk to school.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• It's your child, your call. Just say he wasn't feeling good. Nuff said.... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• My kids are home because of the holiday but yes I wouldn't send them to school on days when the weather is dangerous. Especially when they are really really young.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I say it's fine
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Do you have any close neighbors who drive their kids to the same bus, maybe you could carpool over there?
    Take a thermos of hot chocolate so he can keep warm, and get nice and sugared up for school ;)

My sons perfect attendance streak ended with a trip to the ER when he bashed his mouth on the stairs and ended up having his teeth pulled, and when he got food poisoning and puked literally from 3 in the afternoon to 3 in the morning.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I've been known to keep my kids home out of nasty weather. But my kids also go to a small, private school, and the teacher knows if there's a lot of ice on the roads out where I am, I'm more likely not to drive the kids in.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Your kids have school today??? It's a holiday....
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Up to you. But I remember going to snow stops by myself in snow higher than me, in Buffalo, at his age. Actually at his age I was walking two miles, in the snow, piled higher than me and bundled up so tight if I fell over I could not get back up. I would send my kid bundled up to the bus stop and bundle up with him. Why ruin a no absences streak because of a little cold weather.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Yeah. I think I decided to take him. It's going to be this cold tomorrow too and I cant keep him home 2 days in a row for cold weather. Ill just bundle him up the best I can.
    Lobelia

Comment by Lobelia (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2013