Previous smoker needs some help

i smoked about a half a pack a day before i was pregnant with my now 5 year old. i'd cave every once in a while while i was pregnant with her (i still feel guilty about it, but what's done is done, and she has no complications from it) but something happened in the family that caused alot of stress in my life, and i picked up on the habit again shortly after (about 3 months later)

then, about 2 years later, i find out i'm pregnant with my second child. i quit completely with the exception of only 1 cave-in...

now, nearly 4 years after my last cigarette, i've been craving them like crazy. at least 3 times a day now, for the past 2 weeks. to the point of irritability and even the shakes i got from withdrawls from the last time i quit. i'd get cravings every now and then, when i'm extremely stressed out.

is there an explanation for why i am all of a sudden craving them, for seemingly out-of-the-blue reasons? and why now, after 4 years? and is there a way to take the edge off without reverting back to that expensive, and harmful habit? i'm really at my wits end and i don't know what else to do.

and to give some insight to the household, my dad does smoke, but he takes it outside unless it's raining, he'll still smoke in the garage. but he will chew tobacco too to keep smoke away from me and the kids, he'll even go so far as to change his clothes just to make sure nothing comes up stairs to me and the kids. my husband chews snus (tobacco in a little pouch)

i'm begging anyone who has a way to relieve this craving, it's adding stress to my life that i don't need right now. and i'm tired of snapping so easily right now. i feel like i'm going through quitting all over again these past 3 weeks. someone, help.

nuklear

Asked by nuklear at 10:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Health

• Have you ever tried an electronic cigarette? I'd almost hate to see you start adding nicotine into your system again after all this time, but it's better than the alternative. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I have the same problem, but I smoke about 5 to 6 a day. I just cant quit. Maybe some can give some help here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I agree on trying the electronic cigarette. It does contain nicotine to give you that fix but from what I've read nicotine really isn't the harmful ingredient in cigarettes, it's all the tar that causes cancer, breathing problems, etc.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I think because it's ingrained into you as your "stress relief". You have never really gotten totally away from smoking because you are constantly being exposed to it. I know some do not believe in this, but I would suggest Hypnotherapy. I use it for anxiety. It's not a one time, quick cure though, you may have to continue it until you are thoroughly free of your stressors. It happens. I will give you credit for trying to find something that works in order to stop. Please do. It's not easy.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I agree with m-avi - it's your go-to stress reliever. You need to find another method of dealing with things that upset you. When I was quitting the one piece of advice that helped me was when I really craved a smoke, was to just pretend I am smoking. Go through the motions of inhaling and exhaling as if you actually had a cigarette. This deep breathing is proven to be calming and really does help the moment pass. Also, don't fixate on your craving. Make a concious effort to turn your thoughts to something else. Acknowlege the craving, then make yourself focus on something else - Yes, I really want a cigarette right now, but look at the sun shining outside. Too bad it's so cold out. That kind of thing really helps to get you through it. The craving only has as much power as you give it.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• @hootie826 - i actually do go through the motions. i refuse to put my hand near my face thought, because i don't want that habit again, and you're right, it does help. but for some reason, these past 3 weeks have been really intense as far as cravings go. it feels like my body is trying to quit all over again. where the smell of cigarettes used to make me gag, i'm now (even the tiniest bit) enjoying the smell again. about 3 weeks ago (i think shortly after or just at the beginning of all of this) i had a nightmare in which i smoked a half a pack of my old brand (which is now discontinued). i woke up with the worst cravings that day.

i've even starting feeling a little dizzy, and in need of a rest most days because of this. i feel exhausted, and miserable, and i feel like it's linked to something. i just don't know what.
    nuklear

Comment by nuklear (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• You need to find a different way to handle stress. And you should probably try to figure out what is triggering this for you.
    Chew gum or eat some carrot sticks when you have a craving
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2013