What to do about our friends who copy us and everything we do??

My girl friend Doesn't copy everything I wear but everything I tell her I want to do something she copies. If I tell her I want to go bowling with my dh this weekend she does it before me. I painted one accent wall in my house and rearrange the living room and she did the exact same and almost the same color. My husband and I go bike ridding and they started to copy us and even by camel back pack just like ours. We envited them over for barbecue and marshmallows over the fire pit. They invited us to their house and they bought themselves a fire pit and they got the marshmallows too. And her husband copies my husband even more and makes it so obvious I don't know if I should laugh or throw up? My husband is such a manly guy and he is into guns, knives, and hunting. And his friend never shot a gun before, so he decided to buy one just like my husband but better of course. And he started to go to the shooting range with us, and then out of nowhere he turned to a gun fanatic like my husband. I told my husband I don't trust him with a gun that I think he thinks its a toy . Well the next day he texted my husband don't tell anyone but I shot my gun in the air in my neighborhood just to see what happens. What an idiot! Well he gets into everything my husband likes, what he watches, and sometimes what he wears. And there is so many other things. And when they copy us they like to do it better... At first we didn't notice because they didn't do it full blown out there. Why are they doing this, I wonder if they notice, should we stop being friends because of this? Any advice?

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 11:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Relationships

• Imitation is the best form of flattery.
    If you don't like it, quit telling her anything.
    Is it Really such a bg deal that you would stop being friends with them? Why don't you invte them to go bike riding and shooting with you?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• My friends don't copy me, I'm too strange lol. Consider it a compliment that she thinks your cool enough to mimic.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I'd look at it as a complement not a threat. Who really cares anyway? They are doing things that you like too & inviting you over to boot. They want to make you two happy. Who cares who did it first?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I find it a little creepy. I don't know what I'd do exactly, but it would weird me out.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Yes I'm so weirded out.. Even now that I notice more?? It can be really annoying this is the first time we ever had to deal with this! I know friends have common interest , and hobbies. But for them to try to do exactly everything like us? I feel like they trying to steal are identities lol.
    mellyhayes

Comment by mellyhayes (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Stop sharing so much with them. Either that, or start to over-share and watch the hilarity ensue.....
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It would annoy me after a while. Put some distance between you for a while. Maybe that will help.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I agree with PartyGal, over-share from time to time and sit back and watch the show! Tell them something like, "we are seriously thinking about getting some alpacas, been researching a lot about them. Not real sure though. It says you need to have more than one or they get lonely. But they are SOOO cute. I'm just not sure yet. Do you think we have enough room for 2 alpacas?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I would start doing odd ball things and see if they copy you. have your hubby start wearing goofy things to see if they guy does too. tell them just random things that you think they may do. lol

But in all seriousness... I would quit telling them things that you like and do. That would get way annoying to me as well.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Wow, the fact that both of them are showing this behavior should be a red flag. I think it's a small percent that they admire you and find you both inspiring but I think a larger percent shows signs of a personality disorder. I had this happen to me before and I am glad I kept my guard up because it turned out she was obsessive. I found that she had stolen clothes, documents and even family members' SSNs while she was at our home. Stop inviting them over and keep things cordial.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2013