Pain in the Butt - Literally

I fell asleep sitting on the couch last night with the little one asleep in my arms and though I wasn't in pain while asleep, the muscles around the tailbone were very sore after I stood up. I can't even bend or lift anything without pain now. I never realized how so many movements affected the butt muscles until now. It's been about 6 hours already and the pain still hasn't reduced at all. I tried a few stretches every hour but not much help. Any suggestions to relieve the pain?

hellokittykat

Asked by hellokittykat at 12:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Health

• Advil and ICE.... NEVER heat an acute injury (strain, sprain, bruise) EVER!!!! I say this as a Sports Medicine specialist with 15 years experience in the field... we generally do not use heat in the first 48 hours, or rarely ever in the first week. Ice x 20 minutes, let it rewarm to the same temp at the rest of you skin, then ice again. The more often you can repeat this cycle the better!! Make sure she doesn't leave the ice on for an hour - letting the area re-warm is so important to the healing process!! Advil (or any ibuprofen) can help too... should take it every 4-6 hours, vs just when it hurts the most... you need to build up a "therapeutic" dose in your system and it will work better. Just before icing you can also go some gentle easy stretching... as long as it's not painful. Always stretch when the muscle is warm, never after ice. I'm serious about the ice.... I've seen great results with intensive icing...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Advil
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Ibuprofen and a hot bath. Just don't sit directly on your butt. I would lay on my side if it were me and just let the hot water soak my bottom. If you have it, add Epson salt to the water, it'll help relieve the muscles.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2013