3 year old afraid to go #2 in the potty

My daughter is 3 and has been potty trained thru the night for about 9 months. But she refuses to go #2 on the potty. I asked the dr and he suggested play games to get her to do it but that didnt work. (He said he sees a lot of kids who do this). She seriously will scream and cry and throw a tantrum about going on the potty. (This is is a kid that doesn't ever throw tantrums) So I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and what they did to help it. She will be 4 in october.

Mandy211

Asked by Mandy211 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't push her into it. Wait & try again in a month or so. My Son was reluctnant so we waited. Finally he was ready & we promised him a trip to Walgreens to pick a toy & it worked.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• reluctant* (sp) sorry

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Its been 2 months since the last time we tried. I even said we would go to the aquarium or chuck e cheese if she went and she just screamed.
    Mandy211

Comment by Mandy211 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Maybe try to get a small potty (you know one of the kids training ones). Sometimes they are afraid of the big-ness of the potty for #2.
    Spend some time on that potty with her. Even if she doesn't go, just place her on the potty a couple times a day and read a book to her.
    Then when you see her in a corner pooping, quickly put her on the little potty and read a book. Once she goes, have a little celebration with her
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/04_potty_bms.htm

some tips and advice for this problem (sorry cant make it a clicky)

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• My son is 3 and afraid of going #2 on the potty. He tells us everytime he has to pee and goes and he tells us when he has to poop, but he won't go on the potty. We are doing this in stages. He can wear the pull up to go, but he has to sit on the potty. So far so good. We are getting ready to try it without soon.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Thanks ladies. And i am glad im not the only one people look at me like i'm nuts when they know she wont go on the potty.. pretty rude. Good luck to you ans your son as well layh
    Mandy211

Comment by Mandy211 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I'd suggest waiting it out for now and possible offering reward for being a big girl and using the potty to go poopy. Explain to her that mommy goes poopy on the potty. Patience will help with this one. Good luck!
    teampeyton123

Answer by teampeyton123 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Update! She has started going #2 on the potty ALL the time! I am on proud momma!
    Mandy211

Comment by Mandy211 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2013