Chances of twins??

so my husband and I have found ourselves unexpecidly pregnant with our 3rd child. We found out when I went to go get my IUD put in.....how oldest is 5 this June, our youngest is 13 months old....

my dad is a twin and someone in my mom's family was a twin and we've always been concerned both times before about having twins.....now that this has happened so unexpecidly I wonder gee will THIS be the time it is actually twins??

I wont know till Feb 12th...

This isnt exactly the best time for this- but we are making the best out of this huge surprise and hoping for the very best....space and money are both huge issues... we only have 2 bedrooms- we cant get out of where we are...sigh......so much thing think about!!!

It's funny we try we get pregnant right away, we dont prevent we dont try we get pregnnat right away.....we dont try like at all..........even protect ourselves with condom and timing....we get pregnant. LOL still in shock.

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 1:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Are they identical twins or fraternal twins.

Identical twins are not hereditary, but fraternal twins can be.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Cross that bridge when you get to it. Worrying about things you have no control over is not good for a healthy pregnancy.
    Get your tubes tied after this one!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Also, the twins in your father's family have no bearing on this - your mother's does. It all depends on whether you can release two eggs in one cycle or not.

Having said that, there are twins in nearly all families if you look far enough and the barely rise because you have in the family. Here's a list of things that increase your risk factor:

http://multiples.about.com/cs/funfacts/a/oddsoftwins_2.htm
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• both sets are fratenal
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• my hubby is getting snipped and I am getting the IUD after this one is born. ......ive had two vaginal births and plan to have another. IF it happens to be a cesection I am getting tied. but I dont get cut open just to be tied.
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Just FYI - you don't have to get cut open anymore to get your tubes tied, they can do it laparoscopically

Answer by missanc at 2:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I believe there is also a procedure that doesn't cut at all. They go up the vagina and seal the tubes shut
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• My mom was a twin, my dads 2 uncles are twins, we have twin nephews ons dhs side... low and behold, no twins for us!! Its all about timing, and chances... you have already had 2 singletons, so the chances of twins for you IMO, are low...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• oooh really? then if its low risk I'll so it
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2013