can two year old children see monstors

i have a two year old granddaughter thats is seeing monstors and it i need help i beleve that shes seeing something thats unnatural or evil.and it only happens between the hours of 3 am and 5 am she has woke up with scratch marks on her and didnt have any when she went to bed.she says his name is george and hes big and black with red eyes and its gittiing worse by the night.and shes not the only one in the house that has seen monstors please help i dont know what to do

marycamp65

Asked by marycamp65 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is no such thing as monstOrs or "unatural/evil" beings. If there are scratches you have to look at other options. 1) Is there a pet in the house. 2) It's possible you didn't notice them before bed 3) they are self inflicted (possibly unconciously).
    The reference to "monsters" is merely a psychological manifestation to something else that is occuring. such as an overactive imagination due to watching things beyond her age range or even abuse.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• She could be having night terrors, and scratching herself. She isn't actually seeing a monster. When I was little I remember lying in bed and hearing my pulse in my ear, and being convinced it was footsteps of something huge coming after me. I "knew" that's all if could be, and one night I had a very vivid dream of a large bird like creature walking though our house coming to get me. Even know at age 49, I could almost swear it was real... Major freak out time!!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Young children have very active imaginations and, usually sharp little nails too. I agree with the PP about night terrors, they are very common from 2-4 yrs old.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Now as for what you can do is to ensure she is watching shows that are appropriate for her age (No letting her stay up and watch Woman in Black with mom or Dad). Ask her where she thinks the monster comes from. And even talk to her DOCTOR about these "Dreams" or hallucinations.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Night terrors, not monsters. I'm a little disturbed that rather than think she is at a normal developmental stage for her age you immediately jumped to it being something real. It doesn't necessarily take a bad parent to give a child the idea of something lurking under the bed.

Besides, haven't you seen Monsters Inc? Sully is a very nice monster, although he's blue, not black.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I'm kinda surprised that no one here believes in the paranormal!
    She could be seeing something!
    Have your house blessed, or hang a cross over her bed, and see if anything changes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Is there another room that she can sleep in & see if it continues? Does she ever watch scary cartoons or scary TV? How could she have come up with this unless she saw it on TV or heard it from someone else? That's odd, you never know! GL! Keep us posted.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• So what,you literally believe she is being hurt by demons or monsters?
    Has she been watching horror movies?
    3-5 am is typically the time you are in REM sleep.
    it sounds like she may be having sleep paralysis,or like the other ladies mentioned,night terrors
    She may need a sleep analysis

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• she has never been abused she has wounderfull parents.and the doctor said nothing was wrong with her.but thank you

Well just for the record I did mention watching inappropriate shows/movies for her age range. Granted I had completely forgotten about night terrors as an option (neither of my kids experienced it).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Let her sleep in your room for the next few nights, Kristi is most likely right, it is very odd for a young child to see "monsters", it is not that odd for them to see someone who has passed on, but she would see them all of the time, not just at night. If this continues you may want to take her to a pediatric sleep specialist. Nigh terrors are very common in the 2-4 year old range.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2013