Count yourself lucky

neighbor friend
was snowboarding with her 12 yr old yesterday
my neighbor friend broke both her arms
was in hospital yesterday , had surgery, guess one arm broke really bad
she is coming home any minute
have calls into neighbors for dinner
BUT
she will not be able to do anything!
i spoke to her on phone, and asked if hospital suggested home health care aid
she said they did not because her husband said he will care for her (BS), he is thinking he might go to work tomorrow!

yikes

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 1:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Relationships

• Oh man, that is so hard. I hope her hubby actually steps up to help. There really are so many things you can't do with two broken arms! You are a great neighbor to make sure they have food and all.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Oh my gosh this one of my nightmares that or broken legs. This poor lady. You are really nice to help her out. Maybe she could call 211 and find out about reduced pricing for home care?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Too bad all neighbors can't look out for each other like you are for yours. That's so sweet of you. I hope you're right & the husb. will see that he's in way over his head & asks for & receives the help he will need for the long haul. The poor woman! I can't even imagine it. Tell her to eat more jello. I've heard it helps broken bones heal more quickly. (wive's tale or not- can't hurt- right?!)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• she is still not home
    she did call and ask me to unlock her front door
    when she is home
    i will talk to her again
    she must call hospital and be honest that her husband is not going to care for her
    betting hospital would not release her if they knew husband was not being honest when he said he would care for her

i can help, but i have a little one and can not be there every moment when husband at work
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I knew a woman who broke both her arms and she was completely dependent on others for weeks! She couldn't even boost herself out of a chair, much less tend to any personal matters. Don't wait for her husband to help her out, convince her to look into some assistance.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• i did ask her if she was going to get home health aid
    i would think it would be covered no problem
    if she was 60 and broke a hip= insurance covers
    so 45 and two broken arms should be covered too
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• There's a great site http://www.takethemameal.com/

Set this up so help coordinate all the meal bringers.  Maybe go sit on her computer with her and email her friends and family.  Also let all the neighbors know to log in and sign up.  You can put delivery instructions on there as well as allergies and any other helpful information.  

daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• You might quietly suggest to hubby all the things she can not do while he is gone and mybe he will reconsider home care.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• She broke both arm? How is she going to go to the bathroom? Or drink something if he goes to work?

Answer by louise2 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Well hopefully the hospital sent her home with one of those "squeeze" bottles to help her clean down there (like what they send you home with after pregnancy to keep the stitches clean, well if you had stitches). If she leaves the door unlocked then just knock and wait until she answers to say COme in (call ahead so she knows you're coming). Hopefully her hubby and kid step up and help her more
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2013