My son is constantly squeezing his 'privates' saying that it bothers him

Yet another issue with my kiddo (the 6 yr old burping) is that he has been saying that his 'privates' bother him and I catch him constantly tugging it/stretching it out. This has been going on for about 3 weeks and I have taken him to the doc who says there is nothing physically wrong, put him in loose boxers/pants, warm baths and lets see if it gets better. Well, I have been doing that, but yet, still the same issue. I try to find out if it is 'as much' as before, but with a 6yr old, they don't understand that too much. I don't want to have to see a urologist as the pedia mentioned....has anyone gone through this with their lil' one? It isn't due to excitement either, saw him tugging in the shower and it wasn't in that stage, if you will.

HELP!

cnt1771

Asked by cnt1771 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You know boys can get urinary infections too....Not as easily as girls can granted but it's possible. Take him to the urologist
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I would have him at a urologist. Why do you not want to go that route if that's where the problem lies? A urologist can help rule out everything and give you ideas on the cause besides.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Take him to the urologist!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I agree that it could be a UTI or possibly a yeast infection...boys can get those, too! If it is a UTI and has been going on this long, I would bet he would have a fever, too, though.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I just realized I was talking about his burping issue in this post (regarding the Prevacid). Back to this issue, they did the urine test 2x in 2 wks and both times came out negative. I will take him.......UUUUUGGGGHHHH. Just was hoping there was someone that knew what it was or had been there. Ya'll are awesome, never have heard of this site.
    cnt1771

Comment by cnt1771 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Is he suffering from his penis and scrotum sticking together? Does he say it hurts?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• if the doctor mentioned taking him to a urologist- then that's what I'd do- especially since it doesn't seem to be going away
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• To tell you the truth from reading your last post he may just be an obsessive type personality. He comes up with something in his little mind & beats it to death. His penis probably hurts because of all the tugging. I bet in a week or two he finds something else to obsess over. Not a big deal. Some kids are just like that. I would first bring him back to the Pediatrician & have them do another urine test. If it comes up negative again, it's time for a talk. My Son just discovered his & I say "if you keep on grabbing it, it may fall off. Then what?" Call me a fibber but it worked here! Just ignore him when he obsesses over it & say "Stop that!" Ask him if he sees other boys doing it & say then you shouldn't either!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Whether you want to take him or not doesn't matter. The ped suggested a urologist, and I'd take him. Neither of my boys ever did that, and the fact that it's been going on for 3 weeks would really concern me. Have him checked out - if there's nothing wrong, then you crack down and make him stop every time you see it.

Mine never did anything like this, but my youngest would constantly "rearrange" himself last summer - it was so hot that his penis would stick to his scrotum, and when he would jump up or move really quickly, it would hurt - I guess prying themselves apart. So he would "rearrange" trying to avoid that. It doesn't sound like what your kid is doing, but you could try some powder between them and see if it makes any difference. But I'd still get him in to be seen, just to be safe.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I was going to say a urinary tract infection as well, but when he was in the shower, did you walk in on him and then he complained? Or vice versa? Sounds like he may be entertaining himself, and afraid to discuss it with you? But I would keep the appointment to be on the safe side, and if all checks out tell him that it is fine to tug away, but in private only. LOL
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2013