Is there anywhere in the US you wouldn't move for a $200K or more income?

Not a permanent thing either. If you could live there for a few years and make really good money and then move wherever you wanted later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• Detroit (b/c it's a mess), Washington DC, NYC, LA & SF: because 200K isn't "a lot" there. Boston would be my expensive limit.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• No. My dh had an opportunity to move to San Diego for a few years for almost that. I was not interested. I do not want to move, regardless of income - unless I couldn't make it here (NC). My support system, family and friends, are here.

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• 200 is a good income for sure but I would draw the line at parts of the South. And NYC. 200K wouldn't go far in Manhattan. I'd skip Alabama, Arkansas for sure. Two years or five years? It makes a difference. Or you could look at it this way: live in Alabama where it's cheap and save all your money while you're there. Hmmmm...???? I don't know what I'd do.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I haven't lived that many places in the US, but Im doubtful that 200K would be "really good money" some places... if you had a family to support, especially. But, my answer is yes. I wouldn't live anywhere is Lousianna for any amount of money. Its a personal thing...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Nope. There is no amount of money that would entice me to move, even for a few years to the Northest. After spending 30 yrs with the Navy telling where we were going and how often, no thanks.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Yeah but all those "expensive" citiies have cheaper yet decent suburbs that are within reasonable daily commuting distance where you could still get a lot of $200K. For a least a year, longer if you wanted but probably not more than 5 years. Say you were only working (or your husband got the job and you could SAH) 4 hours a day Monday-Friday and occasionally a couple hours on a weekend but for more pay.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• DC, NYC and most parts of the northeast and probably Alaska (though I wouldn't mind a visit).
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Unless it has seriously changed Gary, Indiana
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• And that's $200K a year....possibly more. That's a low estimate.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I should add I have moved all ove the country with DH and his work and left support systems behind.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2013