Do you have a special needs child who can be self injurous?..

My son is 16 and 6 foot 2. He weighs 225. When he gets upset he beats his chest to the point that it leaves bruises...any ideas of how to stop this....BTW, he is nonverbal and severely autistic.

SLC3015

Asked by SLC3015 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• My son is 15 and 5'11". He isn't injurious often, but it can happen. He broke the window yesterday but fortunately didn't get seriously hurt.
    Are there any triggers to this behavior? I try to keep my son's life as consistent and structured as possible so he doesn't get upset. We use "first . . . then" for anything he doesn't like to do so he knows a reward is following ( ex. "first we are doing bookwork, then we will go jump on the trampoline"). Also, social stories if those work for him.
    Have you talked to his teacher at school and ask what they do when it happens?

Answer by missanc at 4:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• My son hates the word no. He wants to turn EVERY light in the house on along with the tvs......he gets upset if he dosent want to do something that is on his normal routine....he does this at school as well....we have talked to his psychologist and she refuses to change his meds or up them. She did temporarily prescribe adavan in 1 mg doses....but says she dosent want us to ABUSE it....WTH???!!!!....
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• My son will get mad and jam his finger up his nose and make it bleed
    He is brought down by talking to him calmly. i'll talk about his schedule for the next day to distract him. He calms down almost instantly. it's kinda weird,actually.

He moderately autistic and pretty much non verbal

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• my son will intentionally hurt himself cuz he knows it pisses us off. He even head butts us if we get too close when hes in a fit.....Hes a handful to say the least.
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Yep,mine too,to piss us off

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• My son was a nose picker until recently- making him clean it up finally stopped it
    The scary thing was the Trichotillomania (pulled out his hair when stressed) and Dermatillomania (picking at his skin until he bled)

We did therapy and redirection. Like the others said, discovering stressors helped a lot. But I was screwed when he was at school because technically he wasn't special needs (did have undiagnosed ADD).

Ativan can be abused but if she thinks you are just going to dose the kid instead of dealing with the kid a new doc may be required. One that trusts you have the kid's best interests at heart?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• If your stopping him from turning off the lights and tv's is a new thing, it may take a while for him to adjust to the fact that he isn't allowed to do this anymore. Redirection is probably your most useful tool. Maybe you could teach him some soothing strategies. If he likes the pressure on his chest from the hitting maybe he would like a weighted vest or something similar to help regulate his frustration .
    Oleary1024

Answer by Oleary1024 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• yes my 17YO son is a multi stroke survivor,he will self bite sometimes leaving marks or drawing blood.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 5:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2013