What do you think about this? I wonder if there are other supporting studies? I have never spanked my child nor did my parents spank us. Do you think spanking is necessary?

Study: Spanking spurs violence

New study lays out a connection between spanking, aggression, anxiety and depression, so examine your actions carefully

By Christine L. Chen Jan 9, 2013 9:44PM

There are few topics that spark controversial discussion more than politics. Here’s one, though: spanking children. If just the topic of spanking makes you tense, consider what a new study  is saying about the act of spanking. 

According to researchers, if you spank kids under the age of 1, you’ll have a hitting, screaming, tantrum-prone kid by the age of three. By age five, your kid will have fully identifiable depression and/or anxiety. 

There’s a specific relationship between the two: Spanking at age 1 produces greater aggressive behavior, which eventually becomes depressive behavior. “Prior research had indicated that spanking was related to each type of child behavior ,” University of Wisconsin’s Andrea Gromoske told a reporter. "It turned out that spanking was directly related to future aggressive behaviors.” 

Many people are pretty quick to nod their heads when asked whether video game violence leads to real violence, and the question of mental health looms large when the country grieves over events such as the Newtown, Conn. school shootings. In adults, depression and anxiety are widely known to manifest as anger and violence. But what if researchers hit the nail on the head… that the seed of violence of any kind by adults could be planted even earlier than we thought, through parental disciplinary action that molds a child’s psyche pretty much right after birth? Should we reshape our views on discipline in the name of anti-violence? 

Like many controversial topics, the answer depends on whom you ask. The jury on spanking is – clearly – still out. In some studies, parental polling shows that nine out of 10 parents think a “good swat on the behind” is fine, while others polls show parents believe strongly in a “good hard spanking” every now and then. Officially, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no spanking, but  a three-step approach to discipline instead. 

Many child behavior experts suggest reinforcing positive behaviors and providing structure and routine. Time-outs for toddlers are highly recommended by several child psychologists. KidsHealth.org believes in communicating the connection between behavior and consequence at ages 3 through 8. 

One big thing to remember: Kids are sponges and soak up everything from their immediate surroundings. That amazing ability to absorb a language so easily at a young age also lets them learn behaviors, both good and bad. As adults, our own behaviors are a teaching tool. Be aware that your actions – and interactions – make a strong, lasting impression on your children.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/blogs/daily-apple-blog-post?post=f3f1e57a-51ab-4c2e-8bd2-69faef267712

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Spanking is not necessary,but learning how to properly parent is.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Well, I think we can all agree that it's never a good idea to spank an infant. But I will not adhere this single study that says 1 thing causes another. The older generations were spanked & they learned early on how to respect authority & what the consequences would be if they did not. Now we have a generation of spoiled, coddled misfits who seem to think they are entitled to the same rights & respect as the adults in charge, without having to work for or earn those rights. They don't respect their parents, teachers or other adults in authority. If anyone is overdue for a swat on the a$$, it's them! (again a generalization- not all kids fit into this category- but I'm guess you know plenty who do!)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• ...i'd spank this 'study'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• 1. You don't spank children that young
    2. I have said this before--I actually asked people this question as a survery. Were you spanked as a child? If they said 'yes' I asked if they thought hitting was ok. Everyone who had been spanked thought I was funny and when they realized I was serious, they answered the question with a "no".
    Spanking--not beating--will not create violent children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I spanked. Probably from the age of 2-3, only 1 flop over a diaper. Haven't had to raise my voice to the child since then. He knows who the boss is, and never questioned it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Oh, and we already had this study posted another time a few weeks ago....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I was spanked as a child.... when I didn't sit still in church, I got the belt. When I was in third grade, I got spanked every single day with a wooden paddle because I talked. In fourth grade, my music teacher pulled our hair when we misbehaved.

I am in no way violent, nor have I ever been.

Oh, and I did spank my children when they were little..... NEVER when they were a baby, but probably from 2-10 if needed. I don't ever remember having to spank them more than a couple times.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• This has been posted before, and I repeat what I said then... 'Who the hell spanks an infant???" I agree with Mrs. Prissy... anyone who thinks spanking a baby is ok, has psychological issues that none of us can begin to address...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• This study is about spanking a kid age 1 and under. Anyone who does that has serious issues. You don't spank an infant.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• If you're spanking a child under the age of one you have bigger problems than this study could even begin to touch on
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2013