2 home Pregnancy tests that were positive, why does Dr. want me to repeat?

I recently did a home Pregnancy test (2 actually on separate days) and they were positive. I went for my 1st visit to the ob/gyn for what they call a "Pregnancy Confirmation" visit. They established I was very early in the pregnancy (approx. 3 weeks) they also did the blood testing and gave me a confirmation letter with a due date of September 30th. I am super happy BUUUUUUT they mentioned I would need to repeat the testing when I come back on February 7th for my 1st ultrasound.

WHY do I need to repeat? At 1st I didn't think about it, but now it's bothering me. Pregnancy doesn't just disappear. Why would I need to re-confirm the pregnancy. This would be my 2nd child and I've had no issues in the past.

Mommy2B913

Asked by Mommy2B913 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Maybe your Insurance Company won't authorize an ultrasound without a Pregnancy Confirmation at a certain week in the gestation.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Because you haven't actually missed a period yet.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I think it's pretty standard now. So they can check your hormone levels & such. Congrats! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Ask your doctor.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Its a normal thing there doing now I wouldn't worry about it
    amberlynne107

Answer by amberlynne107 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Thanks everyone.... it's funny I thought it would be easier the 2nd time around and I seem to be a little more paranoid this time then the last..... I swear I can even feel movement in my belly lol which is crazy.
    Mommy2B913

Comment by Mommy2B913 (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Maybe they want you to repeat the tests simply because they can and because they can charge you for it?

Yes, I'm a cynic.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember they did mention checking "levels" to make sure everything was were it needs to be since I was so early on in the pregnancy.
    Mommy2B913

Comment by Mommy2B913 (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2013