Does the Inauguration overshadow MLK day?

MLK's actual birthday was the 15th, and observing it on whatever the Monday after is, is a convenience. This won't be the first time it happens, and it won't always conveniently be a black president being inaugurated on MLK day when they do coincide. Do they need to do something to avoid the scheduling conflict?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• No leave it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Has MLK day gone the way of Christopher Columbus day? President's Day? Memorial and Labor Day?

They are Federal Holidays but how many people (what percentage) out of the 300 million Americans are really taking time to reflect on the significance of the date?

And to be honest (this may say more about me than the country) until I saw the, "Are you watching the inauguration" questions, I didn't even realize today was important on either level.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Maybe I'm a bad American, but truthfully, I haven't given either MLK Day or the inauguration a whole lot of thought today.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Since the inauguration only happens every 4 years, no. I like that MLK Jr. Day is being turned into a day of service rather than just a day off. Same thing with September 11th. Will it take years for it to catch on? Of course it will but I know that I had a great time doing my service work today and hopefully helped a lot of people while I was at it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I don't think this time around it overshadowed it a bit. It was kind of neat that the 2 fell on the same day...kinda came full circle for MLK to me.
    starlight1968

Answer by starlight1968 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I know I saw a lot more posts about MLK today than I saw about the inauguration. I don't think it matters if they change it or not.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I do not see why
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I don't think they need to change THING!

Answer by older at 7:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• No. My own kids talked more about MLK yesterday than O.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• when the significance of columbus day is reflected upon it demonstrates its unworthiness of celebration.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2013