I am currently six weeks pregnant (first child) and I am experiencing moderate to severe nausea pretty much all of the time. I have tried almost everything, including Promethazine, which was prescribed by my doctor. Is it normal to be nauseous all the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ya pretty normal. Sorry to say that sometimes nothing helps you feel better. Try tea or crackers. The best thing I found is to just force yourself to eat something even thought you might not feel like it. Eating is the only thing that made me feel any better. Good luck and hope you feel better.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 6:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I was sick my entire pregnancy...with both kids. With my daughter, I lost 15 lbs before i ever gained anything. Then I only gained that 15 back. It was terrible. They say that *most* people get past it once they hit the second trimester. One of my friends was put on Zofran to help with the vomiting. It's typically used for chemo patients....but can also be given to pregnant people. She was also on Promethazine, that wasn't working. Good Luck, hopefully it's be over as soon as possible.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yes
    Anonymous

• Yes. I puke constantly and I'm 4 months pregnant. Same thing with my first pregnancy.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 7:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes it's noral. I wasn't sick with my son, but my daughter... OMG! I lost 30lbs and my OB had to prescribe me Zofran bc I was losing weight so drastically.

Ask about Zofran. It's wonderful! The only reason I could eat during the 1st 5 months.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately, morning sickness is more like just plain "sickness." About a week after I conceived I was zooming for the bathroom several times a day, all the way through until about 14-16 weeks. I guess I'm lucky compared to some women who are sick throughout their entire pregnancies, but it was rough and not much helped for long. Try dry toast or crackers, sucking on ice cubes, drink ginger ale. If those don't work for you, I had some success with Preggie Pop Drops, a hard candy for pregnant women with ginger and lemon. I hope some of these work for you, I didn't have much luck with most of the common fixes but many women do.
    Reulia

Answer by Reulia at 8:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yeah it's pretty normal. I was sick everyday up until about 3 months. You'll get through it. Just eat rather you feel like it or not a couple times a day. And drink lots of water. Try keeping food in your stomach at all times, even after you throw up, eat something. And don't brush your teeth right after you throw up, it breaks down your enamel on your teeth when it mixes with the acid from your stomach in your mouth.
    Mommy2Be172009

Answer by Mommy2Be172009 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yep. i tried everything and was sick for 7 months for the first kid. the only thing that was helpful was altoids gum. i still had the nausea but at least was not puking....
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 9:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I had wicked bad morning sickness until I started wearing travel sickness wrist bands. They work on pressure points just below your wrists so don't hurt you or the baby at all and you can wear them 24 hours if you need to. It just gives your body a lil bit of a rest, and the worst you might get is a lil bit of a sore wrist. I highly recommend them and they are available at your local chemist for around $15.00 per packet. Obviously like everything else it might not work for everyone but when you get to that point you will try just about anything. Let me know if they work for you.
    Melalicious

Answer by Melalicious at 2:06 AM on Feb. 14, 2009