Finding my calling?

I want to help people, ever since I've been little I have known that my calling has been to help people, but I just don't know how.

I'd like to do this from home though or where my children can be with me.

As a teenager I use to public speak to juniors and seniors in high school about growing up and not making rash choices. I also use to go to hospitals and speak with parents who had to make a decision about amputating a child's limb for medical reasoning. I would also speak to children-teens about acceptance of who they are and never giving up on dreams just because they have a disability doesn't mean they can't accomplish their goals.

I have thought of starting a non-profit .inspire.encourage.believe. , but again with that - non of this pays me and I need money to live....

Any ideas out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• You have a good heart. I'm wondering if, since you kno about amputation and what it's like to live with it, you could put up a Web site and see what kind of a response you get. Maybe you can link to nearby hospitals, especially big teaching hospitals or places with advanced trauma centers or diabetic specialties. I don't know if you could support yourself reaching out to people facing amputation for themselves or their children, but you'd definitely be helping. Having a regular job might be okay if you get the satisfaction of following your passion as well.

As far as working from home, I know a woman with only one leg who does freelance writing for e-magazines. I fill out online surveys, and although I don't support myself doing it, I make a few extra bucks here and there. Working from home takes self-discipline, and I put in a lot of nights so I can be with my kid in the daytime. No sick days or holidays, either.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I am denied disability, I've been over it and over it again with them three or four times even with attorneys.. I cannot fight it. Even though every job I've ever had, I'd have to force myself to work, I'd come home at the end of the day and my prosthetic would have blood in it from causing blisters and rubbing constantly (even at my sit down job that I only had to get up when a client would come in..) I have two toddlers that I'm with all the time and I try to take my leg off as much as possible, but I can't get my babies needs or run after them without it, so my leg don't get a rest. I am a single parent and I've resorted to no work and moved back in with my parents (ridiculous and I'm just fed up and can't take it, I've recently just got so discouraged not having work..)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Have you ever tried the American Red Cross or AmeriCorps Vista. I know AmeriCorps helps their volunteers with a monthly income but not sure how much. I though about doing it but then changed my mind. But AmeriCorps is a U.S. federal government program on civic education, education, and public service. If you commit a year of volunteering, you get $4,725 to pay off your college debts, and a stipend up to $7,400. But i do believe these grants change every year, because they depend on the state, but I would go to the website and find more information. Good Luck =)
    ymilr0718

Answer by ymilr0718 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Check your local hospital or nursing home agencies. There is currently a job opening at mine for a Volunteer and Bereavement Coordinator. I would love that job and it sounds like it might be a good job for you. It's not work at home but many companies are offering daycare on site. As far as your prosthetic, could it possible be ill-fitted? If not, could you take it off and let it rest and only use it when needed?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• ymilr0718, AmeriCorps VISTAs now receive a minimum of $935 living stipend a month and the education award is $5,500. It is an excellent program (I am currently in my second service year), however, I would worry about childcare. While they do pay if you qualify, it does take about a month of two to get them to pay and you have to stay on them every two weeks to pay. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• You know, it might be worth your time to get an attorney to help you fight for Disability. Your condition is quite visible; it may well be that a judge would award you the monthly checks and chew some serious ass on your behalf. Usually you have to agree to pay an attorney part of the back check in return for free service, but you could conceivably get back pay all the way to the date when you first applied. There isn't a Social Security lawyer around who wouldn't take your case because your handicap is obvious, not like a brain injury or a back problem or a mental issue that could be hard to prove. Finding a job would be great, and I hope you do, but Social Security was set up for people with legitimate disabilities, and there are those on the system with far less legitimate ones than you have. At least till your kids are in school, I hope you consider your options.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I know you said you've fought the system before, even with attorneys, but it doesn't sound like you had good ones. Check with your local hospitals and disability organizations, since they have community advocates who might be able to help you. If there are national organizations for amputees, they may also have ideas. I'm totally blind from birth, and it took me seven months and thre doctors to prevail. It makes me furious when I see people who are perfectly capable of working and choose to sit around doing nothing, and then those like you who are really trying and can't even get the money they are onestly owed under the law. Hang in there, Mama! Message me privately if you like and I'll see if I can be of more help.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Nonprofit do pay. You have to get a 501c3 then apply for grants which can be used however you outline in the grant as long as it follows the grant restrictions. Grant writing pays very well. I charge a flat fee of $3500 for federal grants. If you need some help on the 501c3 let me know. I can point you in the right direction. Good luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2013