Can you be evicted right away if you were staying with the tenant whose name is on the lease and they move? Is there any laws that protect me?

My cousin owes 10,000 in rent and she and I were living together.. I moved in. In October and I found out in dec. she then tells me that she is moving to mass and that feb first I had to live the apartment. She has been real nasty about the whole situation. Any advice? I am a mom of 3 and was staying with her until I found an apt so it's not easy for me to just move w three babies...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Home & Garden

• YES. Her name was on the lease not yours so technically you have no legal right to be living there.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• is your name on the lease?? If not you don't have any right to be there. Maybe you could call the landlord and they might rent it to you starting immediately!! Worth a try anyways.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I know that where I'm from if you aren't on the lease you have no rights at all.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• You're not on the lease, so I don't think you have any rights at all in this. It's unfortunate for you. I agree with Crafty to give the landlord a call and see if they'll rent to you - but I wouldn't hold my breath, as he/she might decide that since your cousin is this kind of person, you must be too.

Good luck!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Unfortunately, if your name is not on the lease, most likely you don't have a say at all. But Im sure there is programs out there that can help you. You should try going to see if you qualify for public services, such as Section 8, where they help you pay your rent. Also if for some reason you dont qualify, you should try to see if you qualify to live in a "Income Base Community" usually these communities are not dangerous at all, very safe actually. They will ask proof of income, and will give you a background check, most places dont check your credit, but they will help you. My friend just got a divorce, and has 3 kids. She she just got an apartment in my area. Tell me why, she only makes 10$ but has a beautiful apartment. And only pays $375.00/month. She has a 2 bedroom home, with water included, and all appliances included. Good Luck hun.
    ymilr0718

Answer by ymilr0718 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• You could be arrested for trespassing! Better find a new place fast!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I was in a similar situation.
    I was not on the lease and didn't realize I had moved in with and was paying rent to a seriously overdue tenant.
    Luckily- it was a residence and not apt. complex with set in stone rules. I also had receipts showing I had paid on time and in full my share of the rent.

The landlord took pity on me, evicted the other (lease holder) resident and transferred the lease to my name.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I think it will depend on the laws in your state, but if you have been living there for 30 days and have mail that comes to the address in your name then you are a resident and can't just be kicked out. Don't quote me on that, but def check the tenant laws in your area.

http://www.rentlaw.com/ 

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• ^^cassie is right. Your name doesn't have to be on the lease in order for you to be considered a legal resident there.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Ok, but if she's a legal resident she may also legally be liable for the $10,000 back rent.... Like I said: Find a new place FAST!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2013