Babysitting and potty training.

I am babysitting a set of twin girls. The oldest girl has started potty training, not really doing anything I might add. The mother is determined to get at least one potty trained so she can get away from diapers. Well, she even wants me to take her every 30 minutes. Well then 5 minutes on the potty to see if she will go. My question is is evey 30 minutes too much? Also if I continue to do this should I ask for more money while this is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• I have worked at a daycare before and we would take all of our new or starting to potty train kids to the potty every 30 minutes. Sometimes they would go, sometimes not. It's about helping the child realize when they have that need to go, holding it until they get to the potty, and then going. And no I would not ask for more money for doing something that you are suppose to do.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I only disagree with JeremysMom in regard to "doing something that you are suppose to do." When my kids were potty training, they went to an in home day care and a commercial day care. In both places, they did not help with potty training at all. Most people that I know said the same - babysitter/day care didn't offer any help at all.

With that said, no I wouldn't ask for more money for it. I would just do what she's asking of you. If there's some reason why you can't, then sit down with her and explain your reason and see what you can work out.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• why would you ask for more money?
    confused on this part
    Anonymous

• if you did not tell her in the beginning that you would charge more for helping (when they are with you most probably) then NO . I never charged more for potty training, it meant no more diapers once achieved so BONUS for me!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Every half hour is normal for the first day or two. After that she should start to get it. Shes not in diapers or a pull up right? She has to be in underwear for it to work. You can't ask for more money.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Are you doing in-home daycare or just babysitting?

At the risk of being the only one, I don't necessarily think you can't ask for more money. It depends on how long you have the girls in your care, what else you're expected to do, if you have other kids you're dealing with. Most commercial daycare centers charge more when kids are in a diaper class or one where training is stressed than they do once the children are trained.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• It normal to take them every 30mins when potty training, when caring for children they go through all types of stages, that you help them with while your responsible for them, it's no different than giving them medicine when they are sick, or changing their diaper if they aren't potty training, it's not always going to be the same thing day in day out, your their to meet their needs while your being paid to watch them. Why would you need extra money, for getting up every 1/2 hour to take her? If you feel you need a raise you should discuss it with her, but it shouldn't be because your helping with the potty training, to me it is part of the job.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I think every thirty minutes is normal.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2013