A birthday party got me thinking ...

My daughter went to a birthday party for a preschool friend on Saturday, and she turned out to be the only towheaded kid there. The rest were all Hispanic, mainly Mexican. She didn't care a bit. There was a pinata with candy in it, what more could she want? She played musical chairs, red light green light, and hot potato, and she didn't even notice that the instructions for the games were given in Spanish instead of English. The whole thing got me thinking about a quote from the comedian Dennis Leary.

“Racism isn't born, folks, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list.”

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The legality of it doesn't really matter to the person who's calling themselves an ethnicity. It's also a matter of pride. People I know are very proud of their heritage and want to distinguish themselves. I really don't see the harm in this. My children are half Mexican. They're going to want to point out the cultural significance, despite 'Mexican' not being a language in and of itself and there not being a box to check on some government form declaring them so.

This derailment saddens me. What's the purpose really. I got the gist of the message in Ballad's original post, and I think its pretty cool and pointing out the races of those involved makes sense given what's being said.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• If course it is taught.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I agree.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• =)
    ymilr0718

Answer by ymilr0718 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Absolutely agree with the quote. I have to ask, what is towheaded?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Ok don't worry just looked it up, never heard that term
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• My dad's ancestors left Spain

So that would be "Indo-European" or "Western European" or "Latin" If you knew the specific area of spain you'd be able to classify it as Castillian, Leonese, Catalan, etc. But NO ONE calls it "Spanish" or "Half-Spanish"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Before someone starts bashing a person with something, you may want to check out the info first. People who are FROM SPAIN are Spanish or Spaniard. This applies to people native to ANY part of Spain. More recently, it has also come to have a legal meaning, referring to people who hold Spanish citizenship. Also, many Spanish people don't like to be confused with Mexicans, cause they were not born in Mexico, they were born in Spain. And while yes, Spanish is a language, buts also is an ethnicity.
    ""Funny how it's bullshit when it can all be backed up with facts...."Kristi..
    So, since this back with facts...Yup, someone's ignorance is showing....
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• what the hell is half spanish?
    Do you mean you are part mexican?
    Anonymous

• completely agree
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 1:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2013