What's the best approach to giving away toys?

I've been meaning to go through my daughter's toys and weed out the ones she doesn't play with much anymore. Now I have a reason to do it because a local curch is starting up a nursery. So I was wondering, do you all collaborate with your kids and let them help choose what goes, and teach them to be charitable? Or do you just whisk the stuff away when they're out of the house because they probably won't miss it anyway? The first approach might be a learning experience, but I have a feeling my daughter would protest and insist that she wants to keep everything. The second approach would definitely make my life easier. The last time I did this, which was a little over a year ago, my girl was too young to care. She asked about a few things she noticed were missing, but that was it.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have done it both ways and to be honest if you are giving away ALOT, I would do it when she was not at home, when they are small more than 2 or 3 seems to them like everything is going, the other way most likely she won't notice. I do think asking her for a couple to donate is a good learning experience.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Honestly mine disapeared into a box and if they really did not care they left entirely. This avoided removing a toy and finding out it was special after all.

After you have weeded out some (I wouldn't do it all at once) You might casually mention that the nursery at church is looking for some toys and you were just wondering if there was a toy she no longer wanted that they could both give to the nursery. If she says no. Then wait a while and remove a few more excess items. As she gets older She will get used to the idea, especially if you let her know that you don't use such and such and think you will donate it so some eone else can enjoy it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• i do the place in basement for a month or two
    of she does not notice
    then i give to goodwill

mine is 5.5
    and not able to part with things easy

before any crack pots tell me that i am the mom and what i say goes
    she gets stuck on things and really hates change-, she is in spectrum= routine our friend
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I have tried to get my DD involved before, but in an hour's time, that will weed out maybe half a dozen items. I've found that the most effective purging method is to move stuff she hasn't been playing with to the basement for a while. I then give the purged items about six months. If she requests one (which happens once in a while,) it comes back upstairs. If not, it gets purged at the end of the time period.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I use the same method as Dardenella and SWasson. I pack them a away for a while and if they are not missed donate them. I let her give some to her friend's baby brother so she gets used to being charitable. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• We do a joint effort with two bags. One for unrecognizable or broken parts/toys and the other for things that can be given away. We quickly flick through the toy boxes (need to do it fast because if they have time to think too much they will keep everything) and it's over faster than you'd think. I give them a couple of minutes for second thoughts at the end. Laugh if you like, the only one who has ever taken anything out of the bag has been me ... for sentimental reasons :)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• We had a rule one toyin one out.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I never gave toys away. I just tossed them in the trash when they were done with them or grew out of them. Unless I knew someone to give them to.

Answer by louise2 at 7:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• My daughter has been very charitable at times, but lately she's gotten less willing to part with things. My mom tended to be heavy-handed with her purging of toys, getting rid of stuff that my sibs and I still used, so I don't want to be that mom. On the other hand, Christmas has come and gone, and there's a birthday on the way. If I don't do something soon, we'll have to buy a bigger house.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2013