Sleepovers

One of my 10 yo daughters went to a sleepover the other weekend. She has since asked me if she can host one here. I am not keen. The idea of a gaggle of girls (as in 4-5 extra ones) in my home overnight doesn't thrill me (I'm perfectly willing to have as many as she wants during the day) and I really don't feel up to ensuring that no accidents happen. Yes, I'm probably a wimp.

Apart from this one mother who invited all of then (they're a group of 5 friends) and who I consider to be a saint to have handled things from 6 pm Friday to 3 pm Saturday, none of the other mothers has been forthcoming with sleepover invitations. I suspect I may not be alone :)

Anyway, what I wanted to know is how many of you would be happy to do it and do you do this often? Am I really being a wimp? The only family time we seem to get is at the weekends and my DH has often to work even then ...

Suggestions? Opinions?

winterglow

Asked by winterglow at 6:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• We have them regularly. It's a lot of fun! We usually only have one other child over per son/daughter (many times my 13 yo ds and my 11 yo dd will each have a friend over). Only once or twice a year do we do group sleepovers (and then it's single sex and we send our other child(ren) to grandma's house. They aren't much trouble - pizza for supper, brownies for desserts, popcorn and movies, breakfast in the morning then skating/bowling or play here sat morning.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Sleepovers are a bit of an annoyance, but a fact of life with tweenie girls. I think that more than two over at a time is ridiculous unless it's a birthday.
    We have a few rules like: no more than two kids, kids have their own rides to and from and I choose a time to have everyone picked up by the next day. My daughter's room is downstairs so we have a "no upstairs" rule that keeps them from taking over the common areas of the house and annoying DH and I. I make sure to have some snacks and a frozen pizza and in a way it's easier because I don't have to play taxi that day, at least and DD is more than happy to help out around the house and keep her room spotless on the chance she'll get to have a sleepover. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I never had sleep overs. Have 2 DD's. I just told my DD's no way.

Answer by louise2 at 7:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• we had them- not with 4 other girls -usually it was 1 or 2 and occasionally more than that
    I would much rather them be at my home where I know what is going on. I just had rules for bedtime and such and had the girls leave by noon-ish the next day
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• We do once a month. It's fun. We eat in the bathtub and play marbles.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Your not a wimp.. Personal preference. I have had the cousins over and that has been a handful. And that is just one kid, but having an only child and then adding one to two over night, is something that takes lots of patience.. LOL.. The mornings of being woke up WAY too early I just don't handle well the rest of the day, so it is a rare occasion here. Mostly only during the summer.
    Altho' before I was with my SO and his son, I did run a day care in my home and had anywhere from 1-12 kids daily and could have up to 1-5 kids overnight on any given night, but they were like my kids, went to bed at 830pm, had the same routine everyday, went to church with me if they were on Sundays, so that was kind of different. Have thought of doing day care again, but am in a very small apt, so not able to currently.. Good luck on whatever decision you make..
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 10:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Thank you for your advice, ladies. I think that the main part of the problem is that they form a group of 4 friends and you can't invite one without inviting the other 3 ... (that's without mentioning the fact that 2 of the others have sisters and like to bring them to things like this). Anyway, as I said that they were welcome to come here whenever they liked there were 2 of them here yesterday (the 3rd was away for the weekend) and they spent the afternoon dancing to the Wii. I made them my Scottish bannocks and (according to Estelle) a good time was had by all!

Estelle seems to be happy with Saturdays here rather than sleepovers. I should also mention that her twin can't have her best friend for sleepovers because she has brittle bones and I'm still trying to persuade her mother to come here for an afternoon with her daughter ... LĂ©onie (has Down Syndrome) does not "get" why Estelle can have her friends and her not.
    winterglow

Comment by winterglow (original poster) at 7:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2013