Is it normal

To have gall bladder pain during pregnancy at 17 weeks?
My daughter woke up in pain, her upper stomach area was hurting pretty bad took her to the hospital while there they did an ultrasound of everything that is in the upper extremeties. Everything was all clear including blood tests.
My daughter has had blood drawn before,this time she passed out in the bathroom and got hurt. Her lip is swollen and her cheeks bruised. She went ghost white,and looked like she was losing consciousness. Her eyes were flickering all weird and her blood pressure dropped down to 70/? Can't remember the other number. I thought she was going to die. I'm really worried about her and scared. The doc says it's a viral.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Health

• gall bladders take a pounding with pregnancy
    friend had hers removed with one of her pregnancies- i think after birth
    after i gave birth, i had issue with mine, but mine bounced back
    i thought it was later in pregnancy and after birth issues- but i am not sure

did doc say gall bladder?
    i remember having odd shoulder pain and i happened to ask the friend who had hers removed- she told me right away shoulder pain is gall bladder- i went in had scan and sure enough it was inflamed or whatever it was- but on the mend
    i did not have those other symptoms, but was on strong pain meds from c section, so if i had other pain, i would have felt it, only felt shoulder pain when i went off meds, and it was already healing itself

17 weeks pretty early for gall bladder issues due to pregnant- i think but i am not a doctor

2nd opinion?
    hope she is better today
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• trying to get ahold of her gyn
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• hope it is flu
    and she is on the mend

try not to worry until something to worry about
    or at least not worry around her
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I had my first and worst gallbladder attack five weeks after giving birth, and I thought I was going to die. The pain dropped me to the floor. I told the emergency room nurses that I would rather go through labor pains every day for the rest of my life than have the gallbladder problems. Hopefully your daughter just has a virus and she'll be better soon. But if it does turn out to be a gallbladder issue, strongly encourage her to cut as much fat as she can out of her diet. The gallbladder is activated in the digestion of fat. A hidden culprit is salad dressing. People often get attacks after thinking they've eaten a healthy salad because the dressing is loaded with fat. If your daughter does have a bad gallbladder, it will probably be removed after she has her baby. The surgery isn't so bad now, it's done with a scope and three or four small incisions. It could act up during labor, so have her watch for it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• My Gall bladder attacks started during pregnancy actually. I had it removed a few months after I had the baby. You're Daughter probably fainted if not from the pain of the gallstones but from having blood drawn. That happened to me twice. I fainted cold out. what happened was my blood pressure dropped too low. Maybe low blood sugar too. It had nothing to do with gallstones.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• You're = Your
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• It's been a long time since I worked as a phlebotomist (the person who draws blood), so I don't remember all the details of what it's called and how it works. But passing out after having blood drawn is more common than you think, and is more likely to happen if you're already not feeling well. Other than her injuries from falling when it happened, I wouldn't be overly concerned about that at the moment.

I don't know anything about gall bladders, so I can't help you there. But if they said it's viral, that sounds like it's not gall bladder. Maybe a second opinion would be a good idea. I hope whatever it is, she bounces back quickly and starts feeling better.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2013