Signing over rights

An anon stated in another question that a bmom can't sign rights over until 48 hours has passed..... I signed mine the next day... mind you I knew nothing about adoption. It isn't like I want to disrupt the baby's life and try to get him back but it makes me feel like I was taken such advantage of! What if anything can be done about it? How can I find out if this minumum of 48 hrs has to pass before signing can take place is a law in the state I relinquished in?

mikeyjavimami21

Asked by mikeyjavimami21 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Adoption

• Every state differs. You can go on the internet and type in adoption rights by state. I think adoption.com has a listing of states and the law for each.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Thanks, I found out that in Kansas the law is 12 hours. I hope someone reads this... what about the fact that i never went to court? Can I contact my agency and ask for a copy of the adoption papers I signed? I don't plan to do anything with them I just want to make sure it was done all legally and correctly.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I did my adoption in KS. If you used an agency you signed you rights over to the agency & unfortunatly you have no right to anything except what you signed with them. You cant get the court records. You should already have a copy of what you signed for them (should be notorized as well). That is all I have. I was not allowed to court because once I signed the papers to the agency they had control over the baby.
    Anonymous

• I know in Idaho, I had 3 days.
    rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 7:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• to: Answered at 6:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 by: Anonymous

I don't have a copy of anything! Would you be willing to do pm's to talk about it more? The more info I find about adoption and the process the more i realize how wrong mine feels like. Looking back I feel horrible. ugh.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 8:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• MIKEY, Welcome to the world of adoption...The idea that when we decide OR not , we are coerceds into the idea of a time frame! This simply is not true. I am a huge advocate of ANY Mom/Dad, taking their time to sign ANYTHING. We have that right, to TRY to see if there is ANY way we can parent "our" children. I was threatened into signing, and FELL for this tactic. So I do know what it is "I" speak of! I will always attempt to give my opinion of parenting( at least for 1-2 weeks) before relinquishing. This way at the very LEAST , one has time to decide without PRESSURE. You have been given some excellent advice, do as You must! Blessings...C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Many states are very different. Our son's 1st mom signed the consent forms before he was born, however, she had 10 days to change her mind after they were signed. By putting in your state, adoption laws, consent, it should google up your state's actual laws, not what people here think.
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 11:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I surrendered in 1964 at the age of 18. The law in Illinois is today, the same as in 1964. No signature shall be taken until 72 hours AFTER the birth of the child. I had no earthly idea about the time limit and would not know for 34 more years. Not one person from that agency nor any hospital staff apprised me of the time frame nor of any rights I may have had. Today I know that my signature was taken BEFORE the 72 hours had passed ( I have my hospital records now, detailing time and dates). I also have a copy of the surrender doc now as well. It states specifically on that doc that it must be witnessed and notarized...there is no witness signature nor notary seal. Too bad, too sad for me...I found out way, way too late. In the majority of the states there is NO revocation period when surrendering to an adoption agency. I signed these papers from my hospital bed, no advocacy, no legal representation and no day in court.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 12:10 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• You can sign immediately, but the BM has 72 hours in Texas to change her mind, if voluntarily relinquished. I am sorry for your loss, you sound regretful of your decision. Perhaps the law was that you had 48 hours to change your mind. Would you have?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:13 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• OP: In 1990 what I signed 48 hours after birth was a statement indicating that I was wanting to relinquish my rights to my daughter and putting her in the care, control and custody of the adoption agency. It was NOT the termination of my parental rights - only a court can do that. In my case signing that document allowed the agency to file my statement and waived my right to appear in court for the actual termination hearing. This I believe is bad practice. Even though it may seem cruel to make a mother appear a second time in court to reaffirm her original intent, I think that in this important of a decision it should be required. Waiving your right to appear in court for me meant that I received absolutely no paperwork regarding the termination of my parental rights. I didn't even receive a copy of the documents the agency had me sign. It's no wonder that few women know how to act if they wanted to within the time period.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009