Back to Pull-Ups?

So *almost* 7yo DD started wetting the bed in November. Started with a couple times a week and has progressed to just about every night...and this is with us waking her up 2-3 times a night. Took her to the doctor, urine tested clear, and he believed she had probably caught some virus when we were in Florida earlier that month and said if that's the case, she should stop in a couple of weeks. She didn't. Took her back to the doctor last week, urine tested clear, and I mentioned taking her to a Urologist, but he wanted first to try putting her on DDAVP at night...she started taking Friday and she has wet the bed 3 of those 4 nights. He said to give it a couple of weeks and I plan to, but when we go back in for the re-check, I am going to insist upon a Urologist.

I am SOOO tired of the mess of this. Finally bought a plastic cover for her mattress, but still have to wash her bedding almost daily...and to get the smell completely out, I have to wash twice, so that's two loads a day when we have a well...and that's not counting all the other water being used by the other laundry that needs to get done and the dishwasher and the showers...

I want to put her back in Pull-Ups, but I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to do. She wasn't nighttime potty trained until she was 5-1/2 because she had never woken up with a dry Pull-Up and I always heard to not even try until they do. I truly believe she didn't even try to hold it before because she didn't have to due to the Pull-Up.......and I'm worried she's going to regress right back into that. And yes, I know...tell her she still has to try to hold it and wake up and go even if she is wearing it...but telling her this before bed and her doing it through the night are two completely different things.

So.....which would you do...back to Pull-Ups or continue with the almost nightly mess?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd get a bed alarm. It worked like a charm for my granddaughter. Took her about 4 nights before she was fully trained. The medicine didn't work at all
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• no, not back to pull ups, she would feel degraded. Try the alarm and as you said- insist on urologist if you need a referral if not just go
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Did something happen? I have heard that when they revert back to night time wetting, it could be because they are worrying about something or something traumatic happened. Good luck. The DDAVP never worked for us either. The alarm helped a little, but didn't cure it. My son just had to outgrow it. But he was never dry and then wet again.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Try a bed alarm like prissy said.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Alarm is a great idea. I am wondering if she is often constipated? Does she have a bowl movement every day? Constipation can cause bed wetting too. Just a thought.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I read that the bladder muscle is not fully developed until age 11 or so. I would try the alarm if you want. But the pull-ups would also be okay. She needs to sleep too. Be sure to limit the liquids at night.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I would never go back to pull-ups. IMO, it's almost allowing her to go without holding it or getting up to use the bathroom.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Going back to pullups when DS has accidents helps him stay dry again quicker. If we let him go and keep having accidents it'll go on for months. Pullups help him get back to dry within a week, maybe 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2013