Can a thyroid imbalance cause depression or mood swings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Health

• YES! Very much so. Get a thyroid supplement to help.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I thought that once, but had the doctor check my thyroid and it was normal. She told me it was hormones. She prescribed birth control bills even though I'd had a tubal after my third child.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Definitely. But other things can cause the same symptoms, too, so it's best to handle thyroid issues under the care of a doctor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• YES & YES!!! your thyroid controls most of your hormones!!! so if its out of wack it can affect pretty much everything from weight gain/loss to mood swings and so much more -- i had 2/3 of my thyroid removed because it affected me so drastically - in only a matter of couple months my mom said my personality did like a 180 and i felt like i was changing and was moody and i felt like i had no control over what was happening to me and finally my doctor noticed i had a thyroid issue and a fe months later after trying medication that didnt work for me, because i had a thyroid goiter, i ended up getting my thryroid removed and pretty much instantly i became my same old self again!!! it was great!!! i would definatly ask your doctor for a blood test of your thyroid (but keep inmind that if you have a small goiter your levels might be "Normal" as thats exactly what happened to me - my levels were "normal" but i still had all the sypmt
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 11:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• still had all the syptoms... and ended up have a goiter that went from nothing to the size of a baseball!!! - good luck and i would talk to your doctor
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Yes! However, a full work up to rule out other causes for those symptoms is recommended. But yeah, when I don't take my synthroid for awhile, I notice all the symptoms of being hypothyroid... including being an emotional basket case.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Most definitely
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Yes, if severe enough it can. I have hypo-thyroidism and mainly feel tired when my levels are low.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• yes
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2013