Have you ever watched someone else's child and thought "I hope mine don't act like that when I'm not around?"

I know I'm not a perfect parent but I do my best everyday. I also know that I'm probably strict with my kids and have high expectations. Example, before we go inside of a store I let them know this is why we're going and this is what we're getting, don't ask for anything extra. Depending on their behavior sometimes I will reward them for being on the good behavior. I know that they're not going to be perfect but I still remind them and hopefully we'll get to the point where I won't have to remind them of how to act inside of a store. BTW mine are 4 & 5 and he's 7. Anyway, I had the privilege of watching / chauffeuring my cousins son for a few hours the other day. Technically he was under the care of someone else but that person doesn't drive. I caught myself a few times from raising my voice. Example, running down the aisles in the store instead of standing and waiting. Touching & pointing at all the toys "wishing" he had them. He even told my son that "you knew I was going to be here. Why didn't you bring one for me to play with?" I was then told by his caregiver that at Xmas time he cried from one end of the store until they reached the other because he didn't get the toy he wanted. All I could say is WOW!! I know there are different parenting styles and what ever my cousin chooses is up to her. OMG he's a character. He's done and said a lot more than I've posted. She has her hands full. GL

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes and I've also been mortified to find out that he had.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I do that same exact thing with my kids. Well the 6yr old doesnt have to be told anymore and the 7mo old is pretty well behaved ;)
    From what my friends say my 6yo is better behaved for my friends than for me, I hope thats true!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• The wishing he had the toys he saw wouldn't really bother me, if that was all he was doing - if it was a hint to buy them, that would bug me.

The rest, though - yes! I have a friend that every time we hang out with her and her kids, makes me so grateful for mine! lol They all have ADHD, and mine are a handful, but I do try and in general, I think I do a pretty goo job of keeping them from being out of control. Her kids, though are just...wow. I find getting together with her is a good way to make my worst day with my boys seem like a picnic. lmao
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Sometimes it's not parenting styles- it's just the kid mis-behaving like all kids do.

I'd cry from one end of the store to the other if I couldn't have what I really, really wanted. Though i'd be crying on the inside because i'm an adult and have control over my emotions. :( Now i'm depressed because I wanted a pair of zebra pants.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I remind my daughter of the rules before we go places, too. It's been one of the best parenting tips I ever got. I'm sure she gets out of hand now and then when I'm not around, but usually I hear how angelic she is, and I end up wondering why she can't act that way for me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• My twin nephews were hellions at the age of five! We all went out for a casual dinner at an outdoor restaurant at that age and I was APALLED at their behavior! Food tossed around kids running around, kicking, yelling! DH was mortified as was I. That said, the next year my brother and his wife divorced and a year and half later he was remarried to a woman with three kids of her own! The change in my nephews was dramatically for the better. Maybe they just grew out of it and maybe they are just happier now, or maybe a little of both. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I know. Mine showed off with Nanna. I was so disappointed especially with her. Now every time I remind him of the rules before he goes to her house.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• He's been a lot better ever since.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Yes. And I am sure on occasion my daughter acted crazy.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• oh gah yeah...my sil's kids are aweful, i know my dd dosen't act a fool b/c she's always been so sweet and well beahved, but my ds can be a real brat sometimes
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2013