My friend's water broke this morning. How long is the baby safe before they should do interventions?

My friend wants a natural birth and I am praying she gets it. She went into labor late last night and her water broke this morning. She is at the hospital now and she is dialated to a 5. She said the doc told her the baby pooped inside her. I am thinking all is normal and telling her to hold on he will be here soon! I'm thinking all happy thoughts... Then another friend calls me and says " I don't know why the doc is letting the baby stay in there with the water broke and poop, this is dangerous for the baby."
Is this true? Or is the baby safe and everything is going good as I thought? I am worried now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had that the first baby. The OB accidentally broke my water at the office doing an exam and it was not clear like your friends... They let me go all the way. It took over 24hrs to deliver and she was fine. There is only a risk if the baby breaths it in. They will take the baby right after and make sure that the baby is OK. Don't be worried everything will be fine.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 6:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i hear its bad for the baby to be in there with poop, but how does the dr know the baby pooped?
    Anonymous

• THANKS SO MUCH! I hope the other friend has not called her with these concerns! I know its not good to have that stress on you while your in labor!
    Anonymous

• I didn't ask how the dr knew and I am afraid to keep calling buggin her.
    Anonymous

• How they know that they pooped is because you can see it in the amniotic fluid when your water breaks. The water can be a brownish tint or even have some chunks of poop.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 6:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well since they checked her dilation she will probably only be allowed to go 24 hours, because checking can introduce bacteria and cause infection.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• my baby had pooped while in the womb and shes fine im mean i know that babies can get infections but most babies lungs are closed til they get out into the open air so she really doesnt have that much to worry about just as long as she's at the hospital she should be perfectly fine just pray that all goes well and it will
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009