When it comes to DSLR cameras

is Nikon or Canon a better buy?

i have a coolpix from nikon, its alright. i want to get a DSLR with my tax refund.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Technology

• I have a Canon rebel and I love it.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 4:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• They really are comparable... but you'll run into Canon Lovers AND Nikon Lovers all the same. My dream is a Nikon DSLR with a few lenses/variety.. if someone were to hand me a Canon, I would be happy all the same.
    They both have a few features the other doesn't, but really if you aren't professional and/or blowing you pictures up to billboard size, either camera will suit your general photography needs!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• It's all up to the person.

I have a Nikon and I LOVE it forever and ever.

If I had gotten a Canon, maybe i'd be saying the same thing?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• a lady i worked with had a rebel, some of her pics were great and others just looked like they were taken from a regular camera. i know its in the person taking the pictures also. and, hers didn't have a removable lens. im ready and willing to spend big bucks on this thing so i can take high quality pictures.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I am a Canon girl... Really, they are both great camera brands. You really need to go into a store and play with them, mess with the settings and get a feel for each brand. You will find yourself naturally drawn to one or the other based on how it works and how things are laid out on the display, weight, shape, accessories, ect...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I used my ex's Canon before he bought me a Nikon for Christmas that year. Honestly, I prefer my Nikon. But I do think it's a matter of personal preference, because there was really nothing wrong with the Canon. I *think* Nikon is cheaper, though, if that's a consideration for you. But I'm not 100% on that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I've a Canon but because I already had a traditional Canon SLR camera and the lenses were compatible.
    Canon - over all is usually less expensive. But they are both great cameras. I personally think that you need to go to a camera shop and play with both cameras. Also look online at the lenses you might want to upgrade to in the future and look at those prices.
    Remember that Canon is a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger company other all with their line of printers, and other computer accessories - these work hand in hand with their cameras.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• didn't the canon also recently come out with a wifi feature for their cameras? that would be so awesome and convenient.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• It is important to note that while a quality camera lends itself to better photos, if you REALLY want stand out photos, you MUST learn how to manipulate the setting on you camera. Grab a basic photography "how to" book and start to study up. Learning how to manually manipulate your camera instead of leaving it on automatic settings all the time will make the biggest difference in your photography.

Anyone can pick up any camera and point and shoot. The best photos come from someone who knows how to change the f-stop, shutter speed and when to change the iso.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2013