RSV questions....what to do about school?

Okay so this is the second time both my boys have had RSV, they had it before Christmas break and now again. I called their schools and both school nurses said keep them home like its the plague. Called our doctor's office and she said well, it's a virus, no way to prevent it and unless they are fevering ( which they do not have a fever, just the cough and runny nose) to send them to school. I hate that they are missing school, but I know they will probably continue to get this back and forth because of other kids....they seem well enough to go to school....bah...I am ready to just flip a coin....what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Well it depends on the school rules. You can send them to school with a doctor's note, but I know the school won't like kids with a cough and runny nose there and may just call you to send them home anyways.

The coin sounds like a good idea. Poor kids, so sorry.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• It sounds like they'll wind up sent home anyway. I would just collect their work from the school and keep them home for a while.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Sad part is I am about 97% sure where we got this again, and its this poor little boy in my preschooler's class, always ALWAYS is coughing a gurgle cough...think they need to send him home....this is the most my boys have been sick ever! Arg!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• And they won't send them home unless they are fevering...I just know how contagious this stuff can be....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Some of these cough/colds can linger. How much are they supposed to miss out on? If they are not running a fever, I say send them. And yes, reminding them to cover coughs/sneezes & wash or sanitize their hands frequently. A boy in my child's class thought it'd be funny to cough in her face. What a pig! I told her to tell him if he does it again, to tell him how much he'll be charged for me missing work to stay home to take care of her! Geez :/

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• My preschooler normally has wednesday's off, so no problem there, so I think I am just going to call my 8 year old's nurse and see what she thinks...He is the one I am more worried about missing school, as he is in an IEP and NEEDS the time in class to help him catch up...My guys have NEVER missed this much school...I think that is what is bothering me the most. Last time they had it, it was MUCH worse then this, maybe I am just being more on top of it since I have seen it before...We shall see what tomorrow brings! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• When my 2 had it (only 2 was in preschool yet) the doctor said as long as she was feeling up to it and hadn't had a fever for 24+ hours she was fine to go back. She ended up missing a full week, but she also ended up with pneumonia on top of it.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2013