Need a new "home"......

Sadly, my ATA school has done a midnight move out from under their slumlord. We found out on Saturday, after testing and belt ceremony, that this jerk has been taking rent payments from tenants, as well as water and garbage, but not paying the city. He never returns phone calls from tenants, and has not done a damn thing for upkeep of this property. Our school owners have sunk $33,000-$40,000 into their space, and not been reimbursed a penny. So we moved out and I've hear rumors of the other tenants filing a lawsuit against this slumlord.

So now we're all on the lookout for a new place to call home. For now we're in a tiny side gym at a local athletic club, but that can't last. There is more to this story, I'll give it if y'all want, but it's really not all that relevant.

What search criteria would I enter into google to try to find retail? office? special use? places for purchase/lease in the area? I can find all kinds of things for houses/apartments, but not so sure about "for public use" kind of things.

Help?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 4:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Money & Work

• What about your county parks and recs- perhaps something could be worked out at a park facility... or a local community center?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Wow, I have no idea how to answer your question, but I'm really sorry you're going through this. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and giveyou a bump in case someone else might be better able to help you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Enter office to your search and area
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• It's not as sad for us as it is for some. We've only been going there for about a year, but it was really feeling like home. The roof leaked, there was almost NO heat, there wasn't enough seating for spectators on testing days, the list goes on and on. Our school owner actually just transferred ownership to someone else because the stress of trying to maintain the school was just too much. Her health was going down hill, her kids' grades were going down hill, and she just didn't have the resources to keep fighting with this slumlord.

The original plan was to have both our school open, and the other club (in the gym) open as well, but our new owner had ZERO interest in dealing with our current landlord.

Just looking for what type of realty search to do to find something that isn't residential.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Try "commercial space"
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• what city?
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 5:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Commercial real estate brokers are great because they receive a detailed listing service and can show you spaces that match your specific requirements, like number of private offices, total square feet, and location. Brokers do receive a commission but that commission is paid solely by the building owner/landlord-you don’t have to pay a penny for their services.

You always want to have your lease reviewed by a Commercial Real Estate Attorney. Even if your landlord says it is a standard lease. Your landlord could add things into the lease that aren’t standard like make you responsible for all the maintenance improvements in the space.
    Anonymous

• But_Mommie, to be considered a full school in ATA (American Taewondo Association) you need to have a school in a building all on it's own. If you're in a shared space, like where we're temporarily going right now, you're just a club. Club status is not the best of things, from what I've gathered in the short time I've been there. This particular Club owner was, at one time, a student of our school owner that just walked away. She's VERY close to having enough money to buy/lease her own place, but isn't quite there yet.

The parks and rec, while a good idea, isn't quite what we're looking for.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• You are looking for a gym to rent? Short of building it you will never find what you are looking for... even if you find space a GREAT deal of money will have to go into it to turn it into a school. Best bet is to step down to a club until you can get the money together.
    Anonymous

• I checked into rental space at city recreation centers in my area and found that a rec center with gym space is $80/per hour with a 2 hr minimum. Maybe you could negotiate a rate with your local rec center, who knows. Good luck!
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 5:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2013