Would you care if your child's teacher told her students this

MOM hate is a strong word to use especially to a 2 grader. Anyway my daughter came home today and told me her teacher told her and the rest of the class that she hates Christopher Columbus because she stole and killed people. She also told them not to believe anything about him cause everything are lies. What would you say or do about this

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'd be calling the principal and asking what the hell that teacher was thinking. I SERIOUSLY doubt that what this teacher said is on the approved curriculum.

Good, bad or indifferent Columbus is part of our history and kids SHOULD learn about him.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I'd be unhappy with the teacher. While what she said abut ChristopherColumbus is unfortunately accurate, he was a product of the time he lived in and the thoughts of his age. He probably did what he truly believed was best, although it didn't turn out to be good for the native people he came in contact with. Whatever his motives were, he was a great explorer and an important part of history. I don't think children need to be told negative things about him till they're old enough to put the circumstances of his life and his exploits into a reasonable context. Devils and angels belong in the church; villains and heroes should stay in Hollywood. The vast majority of human beings usually fall somewhere between the ends of the continuum.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I don't think I would say anything to be honest. It's an accurate portrayal, its just really not age appropriate.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• maybe she said she hates how he's portrayed...not that she actually hates HIM ?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I question the way it was worded, and I'd question whether or not that was really appropriate for 2nd grade. I think, until kids are older (middle to high school) that it's better to simply stick with simple things like dates, places, and names of people when teaching social studies. As children become older, I can definitely see it as a debate topic within a history class. However, to use the word hate is poor wording for teaching... period. Whether she said she hated a particular individual or hated the way they are portrayed in textbooks, it's still a very, very poor choice in wording and I would be calling the principal to discuss the matter.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I wouldn't be bothered by the word hate, but rather by revisionist history.
    Yes he stole and killed people. But! and here's the rub

It's like editing Mark Twain.

What CC did, was time and age appropriate. It was a common and acceptable practice. If teacher is going to make these claims against CC then she also needs to malign the Countries, Church and Era which accepted and promoted these behaviors.

Does she also teach the children to hate colonialism because it enslaved.
    Because were it not for 1000's of years of colonialism, we would not be where we are as a people today. The good, bad and ugly has promoted development and as a result of it we are now learning to be multi cultural.

Is the teacher an isolationist?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I'd agree
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Those might not have been the teachers exact words... but there is a lot of pseudo-history out there, and I tend to agree with the teacher.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Kids learn a lot of crap in school under the guise of history... I dont think that gives anyone the right to teach them to "hate" someone for it.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• You're getting a second-grader's translation of what the teacher said. That's pretty far from verbatim. It would probably be good to find out what the teacher really said, so that the issue you're bringing up is how second-graders would interpret what was actually said.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2013