Fostering pets

not to far from me is our county's animal services shelter. they ARE a "kill" shelter, and i shudder at the thought of how many dogs and cats are euthanized everyday. i live in a very large county of about 1 million people.

anyway, ive been thinking more and more about becoming a foster owner to dogs. i did some research and they only place the right kind of animal with you. so, i have three kids and two cats, obviously they wouldn't place a cat/kid hating dog with us.

i dont think ill get attached, my kids might, but if i explain to them that we're only their temporary owners, so we can show them lots of love and affection for their permanent homes, and then we'll get a new foster dog, they should be okay with the idea.

also, in the future i want to get a full time dog. i think this might be a good learning experience for all of us, to see if we're ready for a dog.

have you done this? how did it work out? i think at the end of the day its a very rewarding experience, knowing that you are giving an animal the time it needs to be adopted, saving a life.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Pets

• For me not dog or cats but birds . Two of them very sick now very healthy and one will now leave my side. At least two pet stores every weekend have adoption pets available
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I've fostered both dogs and cats in the past and we love it.  We do get attached to the animals we've had pass through our home, but as soon as one leaves another comes in and the kids are really happy to be caring for a new animal.  It's been great for my kids because they've become very responsible for caring for these animals.They've helped me while taking the pets to vets offices or the shelter for care.  Also they've been involved with pet adoption events.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• We've worked with both rescue and human society organizations. Both have been great, but the Human Society's resources are stretched much thinner, so there isn't much help for a sick animal. Rescues can pick and choose which animals and how many they take in, so there is often better care available. We have lost many fosters as diseases are common in shelters. Sometimes whole litters. Adult animals are usually fine. It can be hard but I look at the ones we've saved and it makes it worth it. If you have a yard to care for these animals until a proper home can be found it would be wonderful because most end up living in small cages until a family adopts.
    RyansMom001

• I have done it before. Let me just say, please don't do it unless you can afford it and also if you have the time to dedicate to nursing sick ones back to health. I have spent much money on vet care and spay/neuter even though I go through a very inexpensive clinic. The cost of rabies shots, immunizations, dogfood, surgeries, treatment, heartworm meds, supplies add up after a while. I don't mean to deter you but if you are going to do it, you may as well do it well educated and knowing what you are getting yourself into. I see it as money well spent if you do it wisely and with love. It is very rewarding work.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 6:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• That's so wonderful of you & I hope it all works out. I know I could never do that, b/c the few strays we've taken in over the years, have immediately bonded with my kids & it was hard on them to see them go. I know I personally would get attached if there wasn't a current owner & the dog was a good fit. I think they count on that too. :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I did bird rescue for years before I had a family. Sometimes I had up to sixteen birds at once. I found homes for many of them; some stayed with me for a long while because they were hard to place. Maybe I'll do it again someday, but not till my daughter is old enough to handle the chronic squawking, possible biting, and the heartache of seeing birds either die or be placed in new homes. It got disheartening to see how terribly people would treat their animals. I had an African grey whose feathers were all pulled out by a demon 12-year-old whose mom "didn't know how to stop him"--she was very hard to place because she cussed like a sailor and hated kids and women, no wonder. I had a cockatiel who had been abandoned in an apartment when the owners moved and left to starve, a conure who got left on a vet's doorstep, and it went on and on. Still, it was rewarding to nurture the ones people had let down so badly.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Definitely worth! You could even explain it to your kids as providing a kind of pet hotel so they would expect the pet to leave at some point. You'd be doing a huge service since so many shelters are full and animal rescue groups don't always have room. Do what your heart says. I am so glad I did. I had some people trying to convince me that someone will adopt them and not to worry abou them. But if you can imagine hundreds of people thinking the same, and then no one adopting them right away, that little soul could have his/her life ended for no good reason. It also gives tons of good karma. I have been so blessed. I thought I was rescuing these animals, but in reality, they rescued me. The pets will play with each other usually and it's really not much more work except if it's a special needs pet. I have lots of pets and it takes about the same amount of time each day to care for them all as it would to care for one.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I have a couple that were due to be put down because of shut down issues. The animal is so withdrawn into themselves that they can't interact in any way and so can not be adopted. I have one that I kept and two that were able to leave me. I guess that is my knack.

I think it depends on the ages and temperaments of your kids oo. If they are too young they will take the loss of the animals very hard and may have a hard time attatching to the dog you will want to keep as a forever dog because subconsciously they may simply be waiting to lose that one too. If they are a bit older and have a good understanding up front on what will happen, I say, go for it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2013