Valentine's Day in the Classroom

Does your child(ren) have some sort of Valentine party in class?
What do they do or take?

This is our 12 yr olds last yr doing a party, actually this is his last yr doing all kinds of
things in class bc he travels to the Jr/High school nx yr and they do not do classroom stuff like this.

The children create a Valentine box of whatever they want and ea grade has a contest. Then for the last couple of hrs of school they will pass out cards, candy and serve out treats/snacks that are brought in.
I will most likely do a large veggie tray with dipp and cupcakes. I will send whatever kind of candy he wants to take.

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 5:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Holidays

• I used to love the decorated shoe boxes and filling out valentines cards and attaching candy. This is the last one. My youngest moves on to middle school next year. This year though they don't have to do cards/candy for the whole class, but they're having a party with treats, etc. After 13 years of school parties, it's going to be weird not doing any of this next year.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• The sugar nazis are taking all the fun out of it. No more treats for any more holidays or birthdays. Nothing homemade. Everything has to have a nutritional label. I get that for those kids who have allergies or need to count sugar b/c they have diabetes. But those kids' parents usually send in alternative snacks for their child. This may be the last year my child's class passes out the valentines too. She's in the 5th grade this year. And the boys are annoying the heck out of her! :p *I hate to tell her that it doesn't get much better in that dept! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Usually the room mom assigns who will bring what based on volunteers...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• My son's class does not have a party. They can exchange cards but no candy. This email reminder was sent today

In keeping with current practices designed to protect the health and safety of all children, elementary students in our County Public Schools are not permitted to distribute candy or other food items to classmates. As Valentine’s Day approaches, it is important for parents to understand that candy brought to school by students, including candy attached to Valentine’s Day cards, will be returned to the parent.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• virginiamama71 *sob
    I miss the shoebox valentine's card mailboxes. the chocolate and candies!

wish me luck that I will get to do it with baby
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• My youngest child aged out of that 6 years ago when he left elementary school. For which I am thankful. I am not a fan of Valentine's Day for children - not a fan even personally as I don't need the greeting card industry to tell me that I need to tell the people in my life that I love them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Parents are asked at the start of the school yr who will be able to help donate treats
    for any classroom parties and what.
    I put myself down for everything listed and then some, lol, and for all parties they have.
    The teacher then will pick the parents and send a note or email home. I haven't missed a party
    in 7 yrs...lol...

gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I haven't even thought of a Valentine's Day party. I guess I've got a lot to learn as far as the school stuff goes. My daughter's preschool class last year didn't do anything, but I suppose it might happen this year. I try to go to all of the parties and take treats.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• dang...my DD's school lets us bring all sorts of junk. at the beginning of the school year they mentioned a V-day party (the elementary school does a big afternoon party in the gym) but i havent heard anything about it yet. i usually make theme cookies from scratch and i hope she gets to make a box & do valentines. that was one of my favorite things growing up!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2013