Le Effing Sigh- Photogs HELP!

Several years ago I purchased a very good gaming laptop to use for images.

Since then the fan and battery have gone tits up, affecting the hard drive. The entire system seizes when I try download new programs.

So, SO has a sahweet desk top. He even hooked a great LCD 35 in up to it. He has PS6 on it. *drool

He asked me if I would rather have a laptop or PC for my next computer.

Seeing as how I need a laptop for in the field and do have access to a PC at home:

What do I ask for?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 6:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Technology

• personal preference - i use a desk top for all my editing
    my laptop i use for school & web surfing
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 7:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Laptop - I prefer Dell. Here is an article from How Stuff Works - 10 things to look for when buying a laptop.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/10-things-to-look-for-when-buying-laptop.htm#page=1
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Tesserae- preferences don't help!
    tell me what to ask for, lol!
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• kitkat- there's my issue. my current laptop can work in the field. i can keep it cool and functioning for 10-15 mins :( just long enough to review images.

i am concerned about the power...and i know a PC will have more than a desktop
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Depends on if you think you'd need something portable or not. I would lean toward a laptop for the "just in case." For laptops, you should consider getting a cooling stand with a fan in it. This should reduce the load on your internal fan from going out too soon. You could also just have the fan replaced at any computer store (it's not that hard to do). Never ever leave a laptop on a surface without any ventilation space below it. You're just asking for it to overheat. Even placing a book below it (not covering any ventilation holes) will help. Adjust your power scheme so that it prevents the laptop from being on too long if you end up being away from it longer than you thought. If you're not using it to game or do heavy duty office work, I'd just get a cheap laptop like eMachines or Acer or even a netbook. I hate HP. Asus is pretty good.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Laptop
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Laptop

Answer by louise2 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2013