Help! I have a flasher!

Today when I picked up my 3 yr old DS from daycare they told me he pulled down his pants and flashed all the kids when the teacher left the room. He was told at daycare he can't do that,
When I picked him up I sat him down and told him the only times he should have his pants down are
1. Bath Time
2. Going Potty
3. Changing Clothes

How can I discipline him way after the fact? Or better understand what he did was a huge no no.
I don't understand why he did this or learned it from.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's actually perfectly normal developmental behavior for his age, that people now get freaked out about. Just reinforce that his genitals are supposed to be private.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• At 3, you really can't discipline after the fact. But, you can keep reinforcing what you said to him.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I don't think I could have kept a straight face when the teacher told me that.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 7:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• It probably made the other kids laugh. Sounds like you did what you should have. Keep an open conversation about it... Sorry.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Hey you could introduce him to the boy who talks to his wee wee (previous post)- they could do quite a stand up routine! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• ^^ OMFG! I saw that thread.
    *crawls into a corner giggling uncontrollably over the actions of uninhibited small children
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Kids grow out of this. You just have to keep telling him he can not do it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• sidesplittinglaughter LOL!  Sorry, I just flashed back to when my boys were little & took many opportunities to streak! Thankfully they outgrew it.  Yours will too.  Until that day comes, if you bit your tongue or inner cheek you can keep yourself from laughing. :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• *Giggle.*

Sorry it happened at daycare, where someone had to freak out about it, but I've known lots of kids who did it. My daughter went through a phase where she wanted to be naked. Since she wasn't in school yet, I just told her she could make that choice but she had to stay in the house. She got over it pretty quickly because she found out that you get cold when you don't wear clothes. My cousin's daughter took off every stitch and streaked through the whole house right after Christmas dinner.

Maybe you could remind your son of the rules each morning before daycare for the next few days.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• it is absolutely normal, I would not do more than you have.
    If it becomes a common thing then perhaps a different approach but for now, stern face with him- laughter inside yourself
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2013