What do you all think about the Gorczynski thing?

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/easton/index.ssf/2012/08/felony_charges_against_easton.html

While I think it was highly imprudent of the man to walk into a bank holding the two signs, it seems a bit much to charge him with attempted robbery and terroristic threats. I really fear that free speech in this country is getting dangerously eroded.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• This one is also near me. Since when did PA get so fucked up?? We have the bubble gun controversy, sasquatch sightings...

I agree a sign that says "You're being robbed" in a bank is not the smartest thing. I'm sure he'll get some kind of "causing a disturbance" or "reckless endangerment" charge, but they should not charge him with actually attempting to rob a bank.
    Protest outside, dude.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Hmmmm, there is a lot of gray in that case. The Supreme Court has held that "advocacy of the use of force" is unprotected when it is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action" and is "likely to incite or produce such action"
    ""You're being robbed," can be considered a terroristic threat, and is not protected by the freedom of speech. But the words.. "Give a man a gun, he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, he can rob a country," That may be a little more on the gray side of things. Should be interesting on what happens.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• If he was dumb enough to walk into a bank with a sign that says "You're being robbed", then he deserves to be in jail. The article did not mention why he went into the bank. Maybe he had to pee.... uh twice. Once in one bank, then again in another bank.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• It is like yelling fire in a crowded theatre. What a stupid, stupid person. Maybe he wanted to go to jail.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• This is the first I heard of it. And I see both sides of it. Yes, he was incredibly naive to think he could take a sign like that into a bank! However, did he say anything to a bank employee? Did he ask anyone to do/not do anything? Did he act like he was going to rob the joint?

And yet, if he had been using proper grammar, I'm sure that his point would have been clear to all, and he would not have been arrested!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• It is like yelling fire in a crowded theatre.

Interestingly, when the Supreme Court placed limits on free speech, yelling fire in a crowded theater, and thus starting a panic, was an example that was given of when free speech didn't apply. I thought the "You're being robbed" sign was a foolish one to use. Maybe Gorczynski wanted to be arrested so he could draw attention to his cause. The other sign was much more interesting and thought-provoking to me.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2013