Is there anyway we ran through 100 gallons of oil in 16 days with the heat at 61

Ash253

Asked by Ash253 at 5:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Not familiar with those type of tanks, but is it possible that someone was able to syphon some?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• 61 is an awfully low setting. Even 1-2 degrees can make a huge dent in fuek costs. Our GS is unable to regulate his body heat when it is lower than 68 so that is where mine sits afor heat. Cooling sits at 74. Comparen your last bill.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Maybe. I don't know how quickly it is to normally go through 100 gallons of oil (we have propane, so we have to mind our amount, also). Are you sure that your gauges are working properly?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• 2 things come to mind, either the people you bought the oil from and filled the tank, didn't fill it all the way up, or you have some kind of leak, that I assume would be evident. Did you live in his house last year? Is yours the kind that is in the basement or outside? If it is outside Mrs. mom may be correct that someone syphoned it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• compare to what you have used in past
    61 is low
    but relative to temp outside
    if it is super cold like below zero- heater is going almost all the time even if set at 61
    so you are using more fuel than if it is 40 degrees let's say

or you have been ripped off by fuel Co. or person stealing from your tank
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• We got it .. Called a tech they said its probably impossible we ran through that so they sent a tech out . The line was frozen and wouldn't feed the oil in . The Guinness that put the oil tank in when we got the house never buried the line so it froze . I more then appreciate the assistance from you guys 😋
    Ash253

Comment by Ash253 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Read more: How to Calculate Degree Days for Heating Oil | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5999127_calculate-degree-days-heating-oil.html#ixzz2IooX9rck
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I was gonna say there's a problem in the line. I had oil heat for about ten years, and even when the temp got down below 0, I never went through oil like that!!! Glad you had it checked,
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2013