Would you let your child skip breakfast on a school day?

My 10 y/o is being very difficult today. She has about 5 choices of things to have for breakfast, but is refusing all of them. It will be a while before lunch & I don't like sending her to school without something in her tummy. I have threatened to keep her home til she eats, making her tardy & messing up her perfect attendance. We are running out of time. Any suggestions? Let her go this once w/out breakfast? Other ideas?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• Personally, it's only the last few weeks/months that I've become a breakfast eater. Before, I would often not eat anything until lunch, and my kids would sometimes be the same way.

I'd let it go this once, and worst case scenario, she's hungry until lunch and learns that she needs breakfast in the morning.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I would let it go. Worst case, she learns a valuable lesson that she needs something, anything, in her tummy before school. Sometimes offering too many choices, even with a child of 10, is just too many. I do the same in the mornings as I do for dinner. Eat what I've fixed so we can get a move on.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• My 4 year old will skip breakfast some morniings - I have never eaten before 10 am and I dont force her to eat.
    It bothers me YES, talked to pedi- not a terrible thing. I mix a pediasure sidekick with milk 1/2 and 1/2 she is required to drink it if she does not want to eat.

I would not ruin her perfect attendance over it, not worth it.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Yes, I've let my Kindergartener go without Breakfast before. She's an odd little eater, some days she eats like a teenage boy, others she barely eats. I've never been a big breakfast eater myself (I eat it maybe 4 times a year, unless pregnant) so, I don't push it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Mine won't eat in the morning. I offer cereal, fruit. snacks, toast, chocolate milk but they just aren't hungry. By the time they get to school, they are ready to eat. I can't force it on them. I hate that they are like that because it sucks to be hungry all day. Sometimes they get breakfast at school.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Send her with something to eat in a Ziploc bag so she can snack in the car or on the bus. She may be coming down with something. We all lost our appetites right before we got sick.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Mary you can either have a few bites of cereal or go hungry, I remember about that age, I was starving by lunchtime, and never skipped again. But if this is odd behavior for her, maybe she is getting sick.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• i also would let it go. in high school i never ate breakfast, only recently have i become an avid breakfast eater. maybe send a granola bar in her backpack or something along those lines incase she gets hungry before lunch
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I would just because the school feeds the kids breakfast. I've never sent her without eating breakfast at home, but I guess there is always that option.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Keep some Breakfast Essential powder in the house,and insist that she at LEAST drink an 8 oz glass of it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2013