I went to Planned Parenthood to get my annual gyno check and pap and...

I see the same doctor as last year and we talk about the normal stuff, "how are you feeling", any health concerns", any changes in vaginal region or breasts that concern you?", and everything has been fine, no changes, thank God! So she says "since you have never had an abnormal pap or breast exam, you don't need one today because a woman of your age (30) only needs one every 3 years, unless you want one"? So I said no since you think it's not nessecary. Does this sound off the wall to anyone? I've never had a doctor tell me that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Health

• I've heard that. When I had mine last year, I had gotten out of a bad relationship and got tested for STDs, and she told me that she'd like me to do it again this year, so I can be tested one more time (I guess she likes to be very thorough) and then I can skip it for a few years. I'm not sure if I will or not, though, because my mother had some pretty severe reproductive problems and I seem to be following in her footsteps. So I might keep doing it so I can maybe catch the problems sooner.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pap-smear/MY00090/DSECTION=why-its-done

Scroll down the page until you come to "What do medical organizations recommend?"

It's a pretty good explanation.

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• It is the standard of practice. If you feel like something has changed you may certainly request one.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Is it b/c of financial cutbacks? I thought the rule of thumb was that those were done annually & dental cleanings bi-annually. That seems like a long time in between where, God forbid, something could go undetected. I know they aren't the most enjoyable of experiences, but I think I would've had it done since you were there already. But hey, that's just me.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I'd heard of every two years after some age but not three, this may be new.

Answer by Bmat at 9:15 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I know that it is becoming more and more common for them to suggest waiting two years between paps now.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• They should give paps WHILE cleaning your teeth. Think about the time that would save!
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• That's becoming more common. Mine recommends every other year.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• my OB GYN said that to me as well but said its every 2 years
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

Answer by ABeaverhausen 9 minutes ago

^^^LOL! Taking care of all "cavities" at once! Great idea! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2013