Does the bible forbid the eating of pork?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you read the Bible it does state that pork is an "unclean" food and should not be eaten in a few places.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp, but it also says that nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving. I forget where it's located, but it's in the New Testament.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• OT law no pork, also shell fish which includes shrimp, lobster, crab, etc. same passage also forbids wearing certain blended clothing, also forbids drinking milk while eating meat etc..

New Testament - it's not about what we eat that defiles us. Paraphrased from Mark 7:18-23; also Rom. 14:2-3, 1 Cor. 10:23-33.

Eating pork will not keep you out of heaven. Not the healthiest thing to eat but won't keep you out of heaven.
    Anonymous

• Yes, in the Old testement law, pork was deemed unclean BUT we are no longer under OT law.
    In Matthew 15 it also discusses what is "unclean". Jesus speaks of a mans actions making him unclean NOT by the food he puts in his mouth.
    With that said, I have been reading up on Biblical principals on healthy eating. The book "What The Bible Says About Healthy Living" by Dr.Russell is an interesting resource on the facts on pork and other foods. He does not believe we are suppose to be eating pork or shellfish and bases his beliefs on the bible but He doesn't base salvation on not eating pork.
    It's a very interesting book. It talks about the toxins in pork and shellfish and animal fat (the outer fat). It also focuses on how toxic sugar and white flour is to your body....lots of interesting studies. A good read for those interested in natural eating/living and biblical principal.
    I don't believe eating pork is wrong but I quit.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes, but if you pray and ask blessing over ANY food, it is acceptable in the New Covenant.

I am a Jew, but I do not observe kosher foods because I am saved in Christ Jesus. Sometimes pork is offered, and we are not to deliberately offend the hostess ... what God makes clean is clean. That's why Christians are told to ask blessing on the foods they eat.

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• snowgirl79..so doesnt that make you a Christian? and Not a Jew? Just wondering.....
    Anonymous

No. It makes me a Jew that is saved and sanctified in Christ Jesus. I am a "fulfilled Jew", and very happy in my Messianic Belief (believing that Yeshua - Christ Jesus is the promised Messiah; mankind's Redeemer).

In Yeshua ALL the prophecies were fulfilled.

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I am a Christian but do not eat pork. I eat by the information given to us in the OT plus the fact that pork is very hard on my family's stomaches. I do not believe that Jesus coming to save changed any laws other than sacrifice since he was the Ulimate sacrifice.
    ljdsnow

Answer by ljdsnow at 1:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree with ljdsnow wholeheartedly!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Snowgirl is not a Jew. You can't be a Jew and believe in Jesus. That is, by definition, what makes you a Christian.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2009