SO of another question, about illegal aliens coming into the country because thier parents brought them here.

There was a question yesterday from a woman who was brought to the US by her parents when she was 2. Anyway she said she was married. So here is my question, If I recall I had to show my ID to get our marriage certificate. But in order to get a DL, I had to have a birth certificate, I assume that you would need a BC for a State ID as well. So how did she get married legally?

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 8:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• so how do you get married with nothing?

I didn't get it either which is why I asked if it was legal and notarized. Anyone can have a fancy ceremony and claim they are married and sign a certificate (you can print one from offline for free) but that does not mean they have a marriage license and are legally married. So it confused me as well. In either case the best course of action for a person in this scenario is to talk to their local social security office or state department about legal help.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Every country gives birth certificates. So she could well have used the one that was issued when she was born for her ID needs.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I know a ton of undocumented citizens with their bc's and driver's licenses. I know many American citizens married to undocumented individuals. Several friends I know are going through the process to have the appropriate documentation to continue to live here without fear of being sent back. It happens quite a bit.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I had to show my BC and ID to get married in Illinois

BTW, yes people from other countries can get them. When I went to go get a Utah licenses when I moved from Washington there was a person n front of me that had a mexico birth certificate but they also had a document saying they were legally in the US but they were legal resident.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• werent*
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Here parents may have been illegal immigrants but that doesn't mean that she is. Being an illegal immigrant when you arrive doesn't mean that you have to stay that way forever. There are ways of becoming a legal resident.

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• . Being an illegal immigrant when you arrive doesn't mean that you have to stay that way forever. There are ways of becoming a legal resident.

No she stated she was. She didn't have any "papers" or a Social security number or anything. I guess it varies from state to state but I had to have proof of ID and write my social on the form. However there may be different forms for people marrying foreigner's etc.
    And I had the same question which is why I asked.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• My friend's husband is undocumented but has a drivers license. Its expired but he was able to get it before the laws changed and DMV required documents to get an ID. She said they was able to get married just showing his ID, it did not matter that it was expired for years.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I know there are many people in Texas having issues with getting a renewed license as they are being asked to produce social security cards and birth certificates in order to renew. I have never heard of this in any other state. In WA I showed a previous license - I took BC & SS Card but he just entered my DL # from Ohio.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Then maybe the government should concentrate on enforcing the exisiting laws?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2013