What did you learn today (or lately)? Also a morbid vent adult content

Mine is that embalming is not necessary if you do a direct cremation.
I'm looking up funeral services. My mom informed me that she will not pay one cent towards her final expenses,and that my sister and I will be responsible for it.
I couldn't get a loan for a pack of gum,much less for thousands of dollars
I found a package for $2250,for transportation of the body,for all the nasty stuff they do to it,and for the cremation within 72 hours of death
Hopefully when she finally kicks it,it's tax time,otherwise we're screwed
The thought of having to save up money for that woman makes me ill.
Getting money from my sister would be like getting blood from a turnip
Everything my mom owns wouldn't fetch $500 if she sold it all.
If my family gives me shit about it,they can just line up and help out then.
My grandma pulled the same shit with her kids,and my aunt ended up emptying out her savings to pay for it all. In the end (with the stone) it was just a hair under 10K

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• from what you've posted before about your mom, you are a better daughter than i would be cause i wouldnt do anything. do whatever is the cheapest cause if she wanted more she'd have planned better. she'll be dead, so its not like she'll care and if your family gives you grief ask them how much they are willing to donate.

i also like Dard's idea of donating her body to science...she could make a difference in death (and i mean that seriously).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Will there be any inheritanc?

I do not think you have to take on the burden of burial unless you want to but it will come out of whatever money she has/property at the end.
    Ours is relatively paid for.
    Tell her if she doesn't pay for it you will simply have to donate her body to science.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I like Dar's idea of donating her body to science.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• It is called in old terms Potter's field, they bury her for the amount of SS that is the death benefit, and you don't even claim her body. Morbid yes! But economical as well.
    On a lighter note, I learned I am glad I married someone who knows where my vagina is located! Per the post about the couple, LOL!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Yeah, in that case do what you have to do as cheaply as possible, no headstone, no box and a cheap ass urn. If she wanted something better she would help pay for it. Sorry, but some people just suck.

I learned that talking to some people is like talking to a brick wall and it just isn't worth my time or effort.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• To be honest, if she doesn't care where she ends up, you shouldn't either! I know it is heartbreaking for your mother to be crappy, but you or your sister shouldn't go one cent into debt to have a service. Hopefully, she will just go to sleep and then you are under no legal obligation to do anything about her. She sounds pretty selfish, or else she would plan and pay for something on her own.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I don't think you need her permission to donate her body. A lady I worked with died suddenly and her brother was only concerned about her 401k. He donated her body and I don't think it would have been something she would have chosen to do.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• You can pay for it in advance. That's what dh & I are doing.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Call your local funereal home and pre-pay. It is very affordable. $10-25 a month.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Funerals are very expensive. It's sad that she won't partake in her own planning to help you out. Used to be that you could bury family members on your property. Where I grew up the big old estates all had their own cemeteries for family members. They are all still there 100's of years later.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2013