Nouns and Adjectives

If you already know the basics of the English language, feel free to skip this. But it really disturbed me yesterday when three moms on here got downright nasty about me referring to myself as "half Spanish." First of all, it should make no difference to anybody in the world what I call myself. Secondly, it was said that "no one" uses the term "half Spanish." But people where I live, both family and non-family, refer to themselves that way often. Not just me; it's a widely used way of describing someone who identifies with the culture and traditions of Spanish origin but who isn't of Latin-American descent, and who has other ancestral origins--my mom's forebearers were German and English, and my dad's came to this continent from Spain six generations ago.

As a noun, the word "Spanish" refers to a language. I speak some *Spanish* and understand a lot more. "Spanish" is a noun in that context. Other nouns that refer to languages are English, Russian, French, etc.

As an adjective, "Spanish" is a word that describes a noun. *Spanish* cuisine, *Spanish* art, *Spanish* exploration in history, and yes, *Spanish* people; that is, people who are from Spain or who have Spanish descendants. Sometimes people from Spain are called Spaniards, but I've never heard that term applied in a modern context, especially to those who live here and thus are Americans. The same can be said of English, Russian, French, etc. Most people who live in Russia, that is, Russians--speak Russian, which is the language of Russia.

I know some of you will get this, even if the ones who gave me crap about it won't, and that's okay.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL. When I was in middle school, my Spanish teacher, who was probably born around 1915, used to call us "Spaniards." Picture the words "Come into the room, Spaniards! Class is ready to begin," said in a high, wavering old-lady voice.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• i dont know the context of why you were calling yourself half-Spanish (and honestly dont give a crap what you call yourself) but why do you care that other ppl here think you shouldnt call yourself that? if you really think it shouldnt matter to other ppl what you call yourself why do you keep bringing it back up? so they can get pissy at you again? so you can be the center of attention on Answers? just let it go...

also, are you white? Spanish is an ethnicity not a race, so you're still white rather its from Germany or Spain. it would be like me walking around telling ppl "im half-Irish" it just doesnt matter to anyone else nor does it have much bearing on myself online.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Are you still PMSing about it? If you dont' think it should make any difference what you call yourself then get over it already. For someone who claims you don't care what others think and that it shouldn't matter you certainly spend a lot of time dwelling on it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Nothing in that post was negative until you went off on a tangent on an anon who was asking for clarification on what you meant by "half-spanish".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• lol... all this fuckery over technicalities.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Dont you people get it?????????

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 5:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• i dont see the big deal, but i missed the original post.

i call myself half italian sometimes, even though italian is a language and can be used as an adjective as well as a noun. what the hell else should i refer to the other half of my nationality as?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I see what your trying to say but, I also think that it's not a big enough deal to be brought up again.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• No one accused you of hate lmao. You're rich
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• You said "I don't hate anyone you fucking so and so. I merely eluded to the fact that your own words betrayed you and it was clear you harbor a LOT of hate.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2013