Do you research health issues online before going to a doctor?

I was reading Parenting magazine (dec/jan issue) and there was an article written by a doctor about this. Interesting enough he has a website. I had no idea real doctors have a helpful website for health and parenting questions.
Where do you go to check out what's up with your child (other than CM!) before going to a doctor?

http://www.drgreene.com/health-parenting-center

Asked by admckenzie at 3:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Health

• Sometimes, but I always wind up making myself think its something terminal when it's not. Google can be bad about that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Yes. I usually learn I have cancer or a brain tumor from my symptoms. Once it was herpes.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Generally no because there are a number of issues wuth similar symptoms and the web tends to produce worse casescenario or paranoia searches when in reality all you need is a week of antibiotics
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• No, I come here to CM of course! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• No, because 9 times out of 10 I know what's wrong before going - and 9 times out of 10 I'm right!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Yes, but from now on I won't. At my DD 6 month check up, the doctor thought that her liver and spleen felt enlarged, so he ordered an ultrasound. I googled it...yeah, shouldn't have done that. Almost all the causes for the spleen and liver to simultaneously enlarge are worse case scenario. Turns out her kidneys are 'malrotated', not a big deal. I was kinda freaking out for like a day and half for no reason.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Yes, I just google the ailment. That's how I found out that I had skin cancer on the rim of my eye. I went to two Opthamologists when finally after begging, I got a referral to an eye surgeon so I could get a biopsy done. Then went to the Surgeon who said it was nothing & that I was too young to have this. I demanded the biopsy which was excruciating since I had to have novocaine injected around my eye. Came up positive for carcinoma. All the Dr.'s were surprised but I knew it all along so I was prepared. Soon went in for Mohs surgery to remove it then into the Hospital for reconstruction. So I believe in being your own medical advocate.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• It depends. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I'm pretty sure I know what it is, I might just to confirm, or if I'm trying to decide whether to go (for example: hmm...my thumb seems a little swollen and it hurts. Wonder if I should go to the doctor or wait a day or two, kind of thing) I will. But if it's something major (say, severe pain or something), I don't. With more minor stuff, I know that I can *generally* ignore the worst case scenarios that will be presented, but if it's major, I can't ignore those and I don't want to see them and panic myself until the doctor says I should panic.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I do! My husband says that the doctor hates me because I go in there and tell him what is wrong with me.

I have often imagined getting in the room, sticking the tongue depressor in my mouth, wrapping the blood pressure thingy around my arm and propping myself up in stirrups and when he walks in, scream at him to go away and I'll do it myself, lmao!
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 5:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• webmd.com
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2013