Women to be allowed in combat

http://www.cnn.com/?sr=fbmain

another facebook find, just for you anon :)  [i am a fan of CNN on facebook]

The U.S. military is ending its policy of excluding women from combat and will open combat jobs and direct combat units to female troops

“We will eliminate the policy of ‘no women in units that are tasked with direct combat,’” a senior defense official says.

“It will take awhile to work out the mechanics in some cases. We expect some jobs to open quickly, by the end of this year. Others, like Special Operations Forces and Infantry, may take longer,” a senior defense official explains. 

The official says the goal remains to open as many as possible. “We should open all specialties to the maximum extent possible to women. We know they can do it.”

Thoughts? My ex was a soldier in an infantry unit & he told me if women were beside him during raids and such, his instinct to protect her would've distracted him. (not that that validates anything, just throwing that in there, as i know it is a concern for some male troops)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• My dh ( marine ) said why not, some of the queens he knows in the corp are more girly then the females lol.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• LOL!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Biggest problem I would have is if a comrade was shot could the woman carry the man out. I'm all for equality but this is a concern to me.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• It's always good when another door opens for us. I hope if that's why a woman joined, that she gets to advance just as her male counterparts would.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Good for them but I'm glad I am out. I don't think that's what I would want to do with the rest of my military career. I know they will do great. The only problem will be the men who don't want them there and will make their lives hell. It happens in the military. A lot.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• In some situations right now in the Middle East when troops are attacked women inevitably end up fighting. I guess women who put themselves in this situation should have the same opportunities as men. But would women want to be drafted should a draft ever happen again? Do we want to have to register with the military like 18 yr old boys do? I don't.

I've heard several men say that having women around in a combat situation would cloud their judgment and disrupt the unity of the troops. Gender roles aren't always followed but overall men still act like men and women as women. I think having women fighting in combat opens doors that women may regret.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• On the surface it is great. When you consider the current theater and the enemy they are facing it is very bad idea.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I agree it should be official. They are already in combat zones and situations but without combat pay or benefits. Including current women injured do not get a lot of benefits because they were not "combat." A damn shame we screwed those women over.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• In equality, this does open another debate, will all women have to sign up for the draft at age 18??
    If so, what does this mean if there is a war?? Will all women be prepared emotionally, and equally as men? Hmm, something to think on. Equality is one thing, but women and men are not made nor built the same. It is proven that our brains think totally differently. I think women in the military can provide certain things, but somethings I do not think they are equal. I think the women who choose to buff and go into combat and train should be treated equal, but I do not believe that everyone signing up for the draft will get this country anywhere! And I do believe that men set aside themselves to help women in combat over men, and that can hinder battle. So, it's up in the air as to how much this will help or hinder our country.
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 10:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I believe women who are allowed and train and are allowed equal just like any other job. I f they can do the grueling job of a man, then so be it, they get the same as the man. They get the pay, they get the benefits. But, making every woman sign up for a draft is ridiculous thinking, and that is where this is headed..
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 10:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2013