Is this normal development?

I looked it up and it sounds like he is behind but his ped says he is okay... what do you think?

He is 18 months and wasn't a preemie or anything like that.

The books say he should be pointing and he doesn't
It says he should know several words but all he knows is dada and mama- no real words
He doesn't follow a direction like 'go get your ball' but he does know sit down and stand up.
He still can't eat with a spoon and he won't even try to use a cup. I even gave him one ALL day the other thinking he would get thirsty and try it but no.
Also he doean't come when I call his name. If I clap my hands or get in his line of vision he will though... I had his hearing checked and it was okay... My ped keeps saying he will catch up. What do you think?
OH! and he has just started walking more than 1-2 steps between furniture this past week. He will walk holding my hand but he still sits down after 4-5 steps if I let go of his hand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I suggest you stop looking at those books, each kid is different and will develop those skills when they are good and ready not when the book says they will....

Answer by older at 6:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• If they did not have guidelines on how kids developed then you would never know if something was wrong. .. I would not be questioning it if there was one or two things but he can't do half the list. I just mentioned what I thought was the important ones. I am afraid my ped is ignoring something and I wanted another opinion. So I am guessing you feel this is all okay that he is not walking on his own and not responding to his name? those are the ones that worry me the most. His daycare won't even move him into the 12 month old room until he can walk completely unassisted.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• If he doesn't seem to understand you than yes it's time to have an developmental specialist evaluate him.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I have never heard of a developmental specialist? They have those!? I will have to look that up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• yeah,he's behind
    A few of those sound autistic like (sorry)
    I 1st saw some of these in my own son at that age. He has autism
    Ask for a referral and don't take no for an answer
    Your Social Services can help you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• If you want a second opinion go get it from a different doctor not us...

Answer by older at 7:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• One of my kids was a slow walker/ talker
    He was engaged, happy and easy going. He just didn't develop as the books said he should
    To this day hes still just kind of laid back and easy going. Happy to be where ever he is and for the most part would prefer it if we waited on him hand and foot.

Hes kind of lazy but has a solid work ethic. Hes intelligent and articulate. More interested in his books and football than anything else.

Track the kid for another few months and if you are still concerned go see a different ped with a notebook of your concerns.

Does he understand ball? maybe when you ask him to go get the ball he just doesnt feel like playing with the ball KWIM?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Honestly each child is different, it could be something or nothing, but if your still concerned, trust your mothers instinct and get a 2nd opinion.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I agree with butterfly blue. A few of those are markers for autism. His joint attention isn't really where it should be. The scene you painted is all too familiar to me. Have him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician. Look for Any Baby Can in your area they can also help find services you may need like speech or occupational therapy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Look at a list of autistic traits and compare

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2013