How can I teach my almost 2 year old...

My son will be two in March! I was watching a video of a little a girl younger then my son, and she sing her ABCS and counted to 10. I been trying to teach m y little boy but he doesn't want to learn. Anybody know how I can teach him? Anything fun I can do?,

StepMom2011

Asked by StepMom2011 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• Just keep singing. He will do it when he's ready.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• There are many educational videos to help you with this...repetition is the name of the game...

Answer by older at 6:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Keep doing it. Over and over again. He will learn it- or *show* you he has learned it when he is ready.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• My kids have been known to sing a commercial jingle if they hear it enough times. Do they know what they are saying, not really. They just know everyone has a positive reaction.

Do you want the kid to learn or just repeat? Kids will learn when they are ready...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• You guys are right. Just have to be patient.
    StepMom2011

Comment by StepMom2011 (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• repitition always but fun is key right along with it... try song, foam letters, play doh to make the letters, sand to "write the letters, books, poaster boarders like they have in a classroom.... :) just remember repitition and fun and incorporate it to everything :) i taught my niece to count to 15 in both english and spanish by the time she was 1(and just so you know i nor is she from a spanish speaking home. only english so she wasnt used to the language)
    newmomma1111

Answer by newmomma1111 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• FWIW, it really doesn't matter in the long run when a kid knows this stuff early compared to his peers. Kids learn at their own pace and they will all eventually learn this.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Repetition and there are toys that can help, my daughter had the leapfrog toy that was a soft frog that Sang the alphabet, really all, you can do is encourage, repeat and he will get it in his own time, each child is different
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Yeah... patience. Funny, I was talking to my brother about how little kids learn things. He remembers being 5 and still thinking that "LMNOP" was one letter. But he always did great in school and now has a very successful career and a happy life. I really don't think it matters if a 2 year old doesn't know their ABCs. He'll learn it when he's ready.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 7:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Leapfrog Fridge Phonics and Sesame Street!

Answer by missanc at 7:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2013