How can I get out of a depression from being stressed b/c my husband lost his job?

Hi,
I just wanted to write because I am extremely depressed, anxiety ridden, scared, angry and many more emotions because my husband lost his job two days ago and now I have to go back to work full time so I am no longer a SAHM. And my full time job isnt even going to cover living expenses. It is EXTREMELY stressful and not being able to spend a cent on anything but extreme necessities (food,gas,clothes & utilities) has become very hard and tiresome. I know I should be grateful for what we do have (and I am) but its very hard to be optimistic :(

firelite36

Asked by firelite36 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Health

• Oh dear. I am very sorry to hear about this hard time. It seems as though your husband should get a job that at least can bring your total income up to what you need for keeping the household going and to provide health care. I hope he is looking already for a permanent job and getting his resume out there. Maybe a temp agency would be a way to go for a while to try out new jobs and get his foot in the door. But that isn't what you asked. I suspect that to get out of the depression instead of feeling sad about your circumstances, which is perfectly natural, by the way, take the attitude that you and your husband are going to beat this problem. Take what steps you need to to get the income you need, change where you live, if needed. Take charge, make plans, when you feel that you are in charge you'll feel less helpless. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 7:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I'm so sorry that you are going through a tough time. My family is going through a similar situation. I am trying to find a full-time job to make ends meet as well. My children are in 14 and 16 now. I have been a SAHM for the last 10 years. My husband has a job, but it's pretty shaky right now. The company has put a pay freeze on the employees and have already let several people go. My daughter will be graduating next year and going off to college. We are only buying necessities and you are right, it is very, very hard. I am having a hard time finding a full-time job.. I worry and get down and then I just pray about it and try to leave it in God's hands. My husband and I keep open communication and try to build each other up. Just because things seem bad now doesn't mean it will last forever. THINGS WILL GET BETTER!!! Think of this as a temporary set back and stay strong. Attitude is everything.

Lei67

Answer by Lei67 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Remember that things will get better. And look for those silver linings. At least you CAN find work...there are too many people who have no qualifications to get anything if they find themselves in your shoes.

Know that you're not alone...look at the unemployment rate nationally and for your own area.

We've been struggling because I lost my full time job last year. I started working full time again by the end of the year, but we're behind on everything. But we're doing the best we can. No one can do more.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009