Will there be a backlash?

Book publishers and book stores are finally getting rid of the archaic "occult" category of books.  They will no longer segregate religions into different categories based on how mainstream they are.  All religious books will go under the "religion" section.  Books related to spirituality or practices that aren't actually a religion (tarot cards, etc) will go under a Mind/Body/Spirit category.

For most non-Abrahamics this simply means books about our faiths will go where they've always belonged.  But for some, this means they're going to find their bible study books mixed in with Books of Shadows, Druidic Rites, the Heathen Eddas, and texts of assorted other religions they used to happily avoid by segregating them.

Anyone think this transition will go smoothly everywhere, or are some noses going to get out of joint once the news spreads?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Noses will be out of joint, now the Christians (not all) will be all offended because they have to share their section with the heathens. I think it is good though, segregation isn't good for anything.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Oh honey c'mon. You know there's going to be a piss fit over this. There's piss fits when religions other that Christian are allowed to put up displays over the holidays. So not finding books EXCLUSIVE to teh abrahamic religions in the religion section of their local book store is going to throw them into a tizzy
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• of course the Christians that are haters and hypocrites will find fault with this new idea. Ther rest of us dont care as long as our friends have decent morals thier religion or lack there of is a non issue.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I've already noticed this change in Half Price Books (it's the closest book store to me). I haven't heard any outrage about it but, knowing some people it's definitely possible.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• LMAO! I think that's funny as hell!

The Bible belt will be pissing and moaning over that!
    Can you imagine the horror on a Christian moms face when she takes her children to the book store and finds them looking at books on the Occult! Because, as you know, children are curious :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• You bet your butt there will be backlash.
    Ill stand back and just smh and smile.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• They've got to bitch about something don't they... ugh!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• There will be those who pitch a fit I am sure... there always is... I for one don't care. If I am in a section of a store looking for a book of any kind... chances are I have already looked it up and I am going straight for it, not flipping through the section.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• My suspicion is that most of the people who'd get really upset about that sort of thing aren't frequenting secular bookstores all that much, anyway.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

But some of them will be working in them. I'm sure it'll get a mention at a few bible studies.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2013